Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Qwillow sewing not going well -help >

Qwillow sewing not going well -help

Qwillow sewing not going well -help

Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 AM

I am trying to get back into sewing after not having looked at my machine for 20 years. I bought a Singer 2 years ago and figured it was time to use it. My qwillow is assembled and I am trying to sew the pillow onto the quilt front. The layers are thick- cotton, flannel, and low loft batting. The problem-my bobbin thread keeps bunching up horribly. I am using a size 16 needle. There is no dirt in the bobbin case. I am using Coats and Clark thread. Is my needle size wrong? Please help if possible. My granddaughter is so excited for her qwillow :-(
Old 04-25-2010, 08:16 AM

I have made many, many of these quillows and I didn't use batting in the "pillow square".
When the quilt is folded into the pillow you don't really need the batting. Please let me know how you make out.
Good luck, Kutnso
Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 AM

I did not use batting either. But it seems it could be your tension needs to be very loose and the needle size large,,that's usually what causes "birds nests" (bundles of thread).LOL Good luck.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:26 AM

I made a quillow once and even had piping around the edge of the "pocket" and I didn't change anything....thread, needle or tension. See if your bobbin is getting low.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 AM

[quote=debbieumphress]I did not use batting either. But it seems it could be your tension needs to be very loose and the needle size large,,that's usually what causes "birds nests" (bundles of thread).LOL Good luck.[/quo

Do you mean the top tension maybe needs to be loose?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 AM

You might want to check and be sure your machine is threaded correctly, esp. through the tension, and the bobbin is inserted the right way.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
You might want to check and be sure your machine is threaded correctly, esp. through the tension, and the bobbin is inserted the right way.
Right, I did that and still have bunching.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:40 AM

It sounds like you need to use a Walking Foot because of the multiple layers that you are now dealing with. That would help all the layers feed through together.

I believe the needle you are using is too large, designed at size 16 for very heavy thread. The needle being too large for the thread can cause puckering because the thread moves about too much when the stitches are being formed.

The needle size should to be selected to FIT the thread you've selected for the project, and secondly the task. Size 16 needle is very large. I don't have any C&C thread, so I'm not sure what it's weight is, but I bet it's not so much as to need a size 16 needle.

If I were to guess I would try a Quilting Needle (sharp tip) in size 75/11 or maybe a 90/14. Make sure you are threaded correctly, then put on a walking foot.

Hang in there!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
It sounds like you need to use a Walking Foot because of the multiple layers that you are now dealing with. That would help all the layers feed through together.

I believe the needle you are using is too large, designed at size 16 for very heavy thread. The needle being too large for the thread can cause puckering because the thread moves about too much when the stitches are being formed.

The needle size should to be selected to FIT the thread you've selected for the project, and secondly the task. Size 16 needle is very large. I don't have any C&C thread, so I'm not sure what it's weight is, but I bet it's not so much as to need a size 16 needle.

If I were to guess I would try a Quilting Needle (sharp tip) in size 75/11 or maybe a 90/14. Make sure you are threaded correctly, then put on a walking foot.

Hang in there!
Thanks for the explanation. My machine is going in for servicing in 2 weeks because I broke the presser foot lifter today (sigh) and then I will try a different size needle like you suggested. I thought I needed a larger needle due to the thickness of the layers, but my thread must be too fine for a 16 needle. This forum is teaching me so much. And I sure need it!!
:P
Old 04-25-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kutnso
I have made many, many of these quillows and I didn't use batting in the "pillow square".
When the quilt is folded into the pillow you don't really need the batting. Please let me know how you make out.
Good luck, Kutnso
My pillow is partially sewn onto the quilt, but now the thread just keeps bunching no matter what I do. I did quilt the pillow front and hate to take it off and make another pillow without the batting. I may do that though if after getting the presser foot lifter fixed and attaching the walking foot, I still have thread problems. Thanks for the help. :)