View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Vanuatu Jill

I can no longer get myself on the floor to baste, so I bought a full sheet of interior grade plywood, used masking tape around all the edges, and just put it on the table when I have a large quilt to baste. I bought jumbo plastic clips and after pressing my lining, center it on the table (large quilts will hang over all 4 edges evenly) and clip the lining taught all the way around. The clips are strong enough to hold it, yet easy enough to re-position when needed. You can see if there are wrinkles etc and just re position the clips while lightly smoothing and pulling the lining. Once it looks smooth, add your batting the same way, then your ironed top. I put a clip every 10 inches or so, and very close to the corners. Get someone if you can to help with this, one on each side of the plywood to help keep it straight and smooth. DH usually gets sucked into this! Then, you are ready to baste, be it thread or pin, starting in the middle and working out. When it is all done, take clips off and shift carefully to a side hanging down and re-clip, doing that for all 4 sides that might hang down. I never get wrinkles or shifting doing it this way. Good luck