Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting- pins vs spray or? What do you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-pins-vs-spray-what-do-you-do-t293415.html)

selm 12-19-2017 10:39 AM

Ruby2shoes - perhaps you used too much glue? If you had so much you could use a scrape to spread it that may be too much. I think that has been mentioned here on the QB.
I've only used thin strips from the bottle a few inches apart. On small applique things I've used a school glue stick as it is very easy to apply. I've only used school glue on small applique projects so far but like how easy it is to use and soft after you are done. When I first started to quilt and read about pin basting I was immediately on the hunt for a longarm of some kind. I've done a few small projects with pin basting(before longarm) and hated every minute of it. Don't know how you stand doing a large quilt at all with pin basting.

ruby2shoes 12-19-2017 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by marjben (Post 7965832)
Ruby2shoes - I wonder if your glue wasn’t fully dried? Just a thought.

Yes, I ironed it and it was about a week before I got around to starting to quilt it. I'm sure it's a fabulous product as everyone atests too, I haven't heard of anyone else having problems but it just didn't work for me.
And yes, I used thin squiggles in a zig zag pattern every few inches and used the spreader to just be sure I didn't have any little blobs of it.

quiltsRfun 12-19-2017 11:18 AM

I also bought out the Mettler spray when Hancocks went out of business - like that one too.
Mettler is my favorite but they no longer make it.

Juliebelle 12-19-2017 01:15 PM

I have been using Elmer’s school glue for the past 7 years with no issues. I spread in a zig zag pattern and then use a yardstick to smooth out the layers. I like it so much better then pinning and as I said no issues.

Onebyone 12-19-2017 01:26 PM

No issues with Elmer's School glue. It's non toxic. I threw away all my basting pins. Nasty things.

fruitloop 12-19-2017 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7966024)
No issues with Elmer's School glue. It's non toxic. I threw away all my basting pins. Nasty things.

LOL. I detest basting with pins. I use the homemade spray recipe and it's non toxic and non aerosol. Works great.

LivelyLady 12-19-2017 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by marjben (Post 7965679)
I have used Elmer’s washable glue to baste a 120 x 120 king quilt and several other quilts and I don’t use any other way now. It it so fast and easy! And they end up so nice and smooth!

That's the only way I baste, too....works super!

Teen 12-19-2017 04:21 PM

I've only machined quilted small quilt projects so far since a I started quilting and I've used pins on some and spray basting on others. I found the spray basting doesn't require "all over" spraying to be effective. I just strategically sprayed different spots and it worked great. Even with this method, I still machine basted all around the edge. I will likely use pins on larger quilts when I work up my courage.

themadpatter 12-19-2017 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by fruitloop (Post 7966068)
LOL. I detest basting with pins. I use the homemade spray recipe and it's non toxic and non aerosol. Works great.

What's the homemade recipe?

charlottequilts 12-19-2017 07:03 PM

I use pins and don't particularly like them, but I can't get past the idea that either the glue or the basting spray aren't entirely washing out but are, instead, depositing into the batting.

hugs, charlotte