Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting Spray??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-spray-t127373.html)

wannaquilt1 06-01-2011 09:16 PM

I used basting spray to baste my next quilt for quilting. I will never do it again, my carpet it sticky and I'm sticky and I hope it doesn't stain too bad :( But do I need to use pins still or should I just let it sit and dry overnight before I quilt it?

montanajan 06-01-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I used basting spray to baste my next quilt for quilting. I will never do it again, my carpet it sticky and I'm sticky and I hope it doesn't stain too bad :( But do I need to use pins still or should I just let it sit and dry overnight before I quilt it?

I only use the basting spray outside on our porch, or on a nice day, on the lawn. I first lay newspaper around the edges, lay the quilt down, then spray. If its a big project, I do it in sections. I never spray indoors - 1) overspray makes everything sticky, & 2) don't want to inhale the chemicals.
Try the overnight trick - maybe you used too much spray?
Good luck.

4EVERquilt 06-01-2011 09:23 PM

don't ever use basting spray on your carpet, use it on a table, you can get the stickiness off with just warm water and dishsoap.

wannaquilt1 06-01-2011 09:28 PM

uh oh... now what do I do to clean the carpet? I rent so I will get charged if it's horrible... I feel so stupid...

so should I use pins or are they not needed?

alikat110 06-01-2011 09:30 PM

Glad for these tips b/f I try it!

alikat110 06-01-2011 09:31 PM

wannaquilt1 06-01-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110

yeah i wish I would have asked LOL. I guess I should have just pinned. I thought this would be easier. oh well.

AFQSinc 06-01-2011 09:36 PM

I let the quilt sit overnight to dry before I begin the quilting. Depending on the size of the item and how much spray I have used I may or may not pin the edges. Usually, once I have done my stabilization stitching I then remove the pins and I have enough hold.

As for the cleaning of the carpet, maybe try a small spot with a little water and dish soap. If that works ok then proceed? I guess it depends on how big the area is that needs to be cleaned.

Flying_V_Goddess 06-01-2011 09:44 PM

I used the basting spray for my second quilt and all it did was make everything sticky. Did not stick at all. I still had to pin mine. But then again I didn't let it dry overnight and the top was denim so it was heavier.

As far as getting it out of your carpet, if regular soap will get it off a hard surface then maybe a good scrub with some carpet cleaner might do the trick?

4EVERquilt 06-01-2011 09:47 PM

Just shampoo the carpet, it will come out. Do not feel stupid, we all make these mistakes. Basting spray has worked for me, just try it next time on a table.