Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   basting spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-spray-t183625.html)

kidmenot43 03-21-2012 08:54 PM

basting spray

I have been looking through different basting sprays put out on market. So many brands and was wondering from all of the quilters here which ones are the best.
There are some that are sold at walmart and was wondering if that would be comparable to the 505 basting spray sold at Joann's?
I would be greatly interested in all of your opinions on this subject.

ckcowl 03-22-2012 01:15 AM

the quilters i know who use basting spray swear by 505 spray-
some of the others do not hold as well- some you still need to pin baste-
personally i do not use spray basting so really can only tell you what i know other's use most--and like

woody 03-22-2012 02:58 AM

I love my 505, tried the Birch basing spray and didn't like it, found I had to use so much more of it for the same amount of stick.

Arleners 03-22-2012 03:19 AM

I spray baste all the time and by far the 505 is the best. Some of the others stink to high heaven.

nhweaver 03-22-2012 03:27 AM

Sometimes we have to pay more and get the best, and when it comes to basting spray 505 is the best. My only issue with all sprays is the overspray. When you find a system that works best for you, it is the best way to go. I cover everthing around my table with old sheets and cheap drop cloths from the dollar store, hanging over chairs. I hold the side of the overhang up when I spray closer to the edge, to prevent the spray from getting on the floor. It only takes 5 minutes of set up and saves me hours of removing the sticky from my floors using Mr. Clean magic sponges.

grammy Dwynn 03-22-2012 03:41 AM

505 is the best! I have a quilt that was sprayed about 4 years ago that needs to be quilted. Still together, like I spayed it yesterday. Darn thing keeps getting pushed back to do later.

jeemmerling621 03-22-2012 03:55 AM

I love 505, and have several large cans on hand. I used June Taylor once and had to open the windows, the smell was so strong; never had to do that with 505. I had pin basted before and now am a complete convert to 505. I have one quilt that has been basted for 4 months with 505 and it's just like new :).

pinkberrykay 03-22-2012 04:10 AM

I use June Taylor b/c thats all thats available to me locally. I am extremely happy with it and I have figured out how to minimize the over spray. The smell is not bad at all.

Val in IN 03-22-2012 05:15 AM

I have tried many different brands. Some of them just don't stick, some of them gum up my needle, and some are just really stinky. I ONLY use 505 now. It's the BEST!!

davis2se 03-22-2012 05:20 AM

I've used June Taylor and whatever else is available through my local JoAnn's or Hancocks. I've never seen 505 at either of them, and would be very interested in finding out where y'all buy the 505. I'd really like to try it after seeing the raves about it.