Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: basting spray

basting spray

I have been looking through different basting sprays put out on market. So many brands and was wondering from all of the quilters here which ones are the best.
    There are some that are sold at walmart and was wondering if that would be comparable to the 505 basting spray sold at Joann's?
    I would be greatly interested in all of your opinions on this subject.

Blog Entries
    the quilters i know who use basting spray swear by 505 spray-
    some of the others do not hold as well- some you still need to pin baste-
    personally i do not use spray basting so really can only tell you what i know other's use most--and like
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I love my 505, tried the Birch basing spray and didn't like it, found I had to use so much more of it for the same amount of stick.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

I spray baste all the time and by far the 505 is the best. Some of the others stink to high heaven.
    Arlene

Blog Entries
    Sometimes we have to pay more and get the best, and when it comes to basting spray 505 is the best. My only issue with all sprays is the overspray. When you find a system that works best for you, it is the best way to go. I cover everthing around my table with old sheets and cheap drop cloths from the dollar store, hanging over chairs. I hold the side of the overhang up when I spray closer to the edge, to prevent the spray from getting on the floor. It only takes 5 minutes of set up and saves me hours of removing the sticky from my floors using Mr. Clean magic sponges.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    505 is the best! I have a quilt that was sprayed about 4 years ago that needs to be quilted. Still together, like I spayed it yesterday. Darn thing keeps getting pushed back to do later.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

I love 505, and have several large cans on hand. I used June Taylor once and had to open the windows, the smell was so strong; never had to do that with 505. I had pin basted before and now am a complete convert to 505. I have one quilt that has been basted for 4 months with 505 and it's just like new .

I use June Taylor b/c thats all thats available to me locally. I am extremely happy with it and I have figured out how to minimize the over spray. The smell is not bad at all.

Blog Entries
    I have tried many different brands. Some of them just don't stick, some of them gum up my needle, and some are just really stinky. I ONLY use 505 now. It's the BEST!!
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

Blog Entries
    I've used June Taylor and whatever else is available through my local JoAnn's or Hancocks. I've never seen 505 at either of them, and would be very interested in finding out where y'all buy the 505. I'd really like to try it after seeing the raves about it.
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

I like 505 but its not always easy to get to the LQS , so I will use the Dritz Brand sold at JoAnns on occasion. The June Taylor spray stunk really bad and I will never use it again.
    I know many order the 505 on line.

I just pin my sandwiches together. I have a pet Cockatiel Bird and never use anything that I think might harm her.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I think 505 is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by davis2se View Post
    I've used June Taylor and whatever else is available through my local JoAnn's or Hancocks. I've never seen 505 at either of them, and would be very interested in finding out where y'all buy the 505. I'd really like to try it after seeing the raves about it.
    Connecting thread has small cans of 505 for about $13.00. Try a small can to see if you like it. I ordered a case of 12 large cans from "Sew for Less" on line for about $150 with free shipping. The large can lasts a really longe time and was well worth the investment. But I bought only after I tried it. I have not been able to find it locally. I really like the way it sticks and has no really bad odor.

I want to thank you all for your invaluable experience of this particular product. I am forever grateful that I can learn so much from it. Now I can move forward on my quilt with reassurance.

I use the June Taylor. Used the Dritz yesterday for the first time and it seemed to work the same. Yeah, it smells but I'm not easily offended. I step out to the garage and lay down my shower curtain. I've played around til I found out what works best and now, for the best adhesive, I spray nothing but the batting. Never tried 505 and probably won't simply because the others are at least $5.00 less a can for something never seen, works well for me and will be washed out. I'm cheap like that.
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

davis2se, 505 in Joanns is in the embroidery stabilizer isle. Hobby Lobby also has the 2000 spray. I picked that up last weekend, but haven't tried it yet...

Blog Entries
    I also have used different types of basting spray and now use only 505. It's not carried locally where I am, so I order online. JoAnn's online sometimes has it on sale for a good price. I usually don't catch sales, so I order 2 cans at a time from this place
    http://www.sewforless.com/item/505_T...OUND_ONLY/7391
    These are the large cans, so they last me awhile. I don't buy more at one time because I'm sure they have a shelf life, and I don't want to be spraying with something whose chemical composition has changed inside the can.

Note: Even though 505 doesn't have the strong smell of many other brands, it is still very important to use it in an area with good ventilation. Also, be careful if you have birds; I know that some types of spray such as Febreze are very bad for them, and I do wonder about basting sprays too.

I had to purchase my first can of 505 spray at my LQS because the JoAnn's I usually go to "never heard of it"....... I bought the smallest can sold because I wasn't sure I'd like it or not, and didn't want to go into "debt" and be stuck with something that I may or may not ever use again after my initial try. That being said....... I LOVE 505 spray!!!! I think the only trick is that you have to use it VERY, VERY sparingly. I would almost guarantee that once you've tried it, you'll never go back to the tedium of pinning.

Blog Entries
    The Dritz spray from JoAnn's is great. I think the last time I bought, it was 14.00 but worth the price. I find I don't have to use a lot of spray to get the job done.
    peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 03-22-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I've used the June Tailor and Dritz brands, both sold at WalMart. For $8 a can, it's a bargain. The trick with any of the sprays is to not overspray or you will end up with gummy needles (easy to fix with an alcohol swab). I feel the Dritz washes out better, but both will stick well. I spray the backing and then smooth the batting while not stretching. Then flip and do the same with the top ....easier to keep the wrinkles out for me. Both are repositionable if you do get a wrinkle or two. Keeping all that in mind, I will never thread baste or pin another quilt again, as the spray is just too easy to use. I spread out a flat sheet on my bed to catch overspray (aiming from outside to in helps), then just throw sheet in the washer.

I use Sullivan's spray all the time. I butt 2 big tables together and cover the floor and any table top that shows beyond the quilt. It keeps the top in place and I rarely get wrinkles when fmq. Never pinbaste again!

Blog Entries
    I've compared 505 to June Tailors (blue can) from Walmarts. I like how the JT worked just as well if not better than 505. It is alot cheaper.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I use 101 Quilt Basting Spray by Helmar and love it. It was advertised to be comparable to 505. I've had no problems.

I got some Dritz recently and it works very well.