Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batiks....colors running (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batiks-colors-running-t181852.html)

ShabbyTabby 03-06-2012 01:17 PM

Batiks....colors running

I have a stash of Batiks but have not quilted with them yet. Should I wash them first and if so how. I'd hate to make a quilt and have it ruined...any advice will be appreciated.

pinkberrykay 03-06-2012 01:25 PM

If you are worried about then running soak them in Retayne so they colors are set before you wash in cold water.

Rumbols 03-06-2012 01:27 PM

I am completely self taught so don't know if this is correct but it is the way I do my fabrics. I wash them the way I would wash the quilt. I lump all the same type of colors together and put a color catcher in to catch the excess dyes. Then I dry the same way, with the regular setting on my dryer. Been doing this for 35 plus years. Hope this helps.

joyce888 03-06-2012 01:30 PM

I rhink pinkberrykay gave you good advice. You can also use the "Color Catcher" sheets, found in the grocery store.

ckcowl 03-06-2012 01:32 PM

follow the instructions on a bottle of retayne---and throw in a couple 'color-catchers' from Shout- in the grocery store laundry isle. if the color catchers come out with color- rewash the fabrics- or sort out-figure out which one is the culprit & re-wash that one- rewash until there is no more bleeding before using in a quilt that will be laundered.
i pre-wash all of my batiks---in a normal wash- with warm water & my regular detergent- some people (baby them) alot more than i would ever consider- i figure if they won't hold up to a regular wash- they are not going to hold up in a quilt....but that's me. when there is no bleeding apparent i toss them into the dryer- again on a regular cycle- i do not use fabric softener on them- if i might decide to use a fusable with them fabric softener can affect how well it works.

ShabbyTabby 03-06-2012 01:32 PM

Thanks, I think I had better try to set the colors before I start cutting or piecing....

ckcowl 03-06-2012 01:33 PM

follow the instructions on a bottle of retayne---and throw in a couple 'color-catchers' from Shout- in the grocery store laundry isle. if the color catchers come out with color- rewash the fabrics- or sort out-figure out which one is the culprit & re-wash that one- rewash until there is no more bleeding before using in a quilt that will be laundered.
i pre-wash all of my batiks---in a normal wash- with warm water & my regular detergent- some people (baby them) alot more than i would ever consider- i figure if they won't hold up to a regular wash- they are not going to hold up in a quilt....but that's me. when there is no bleeding apparent i toss them into the dryer- again on a regular cycle- i do not use fabric softener on them- if i might decide to use a fusable with them fabric softener can affect how well it works.

caspharm 03-06-2012 01:40 PM

I've made the quilt and then washed it with about 4-5 color catchers.

Lori S 03-06-2012 01:43 PM

I would strongley recommend you pretreat them with Retayne. As the cost of fabrics , specifically batiks... the cost of pretreating is minimal... The cost of finding out the hard way.... too high!

QuiltnLady1 03-06-2012 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rumbols (Post 5036824)
I am completely self taught so don't know if this is correct but it is the way I do my fabrics. I wash them the way I would wash the quilt. I lump all the same type of colors together and put a color catcher in to catch the excess dyes. Then I dry the same way, with the regular setting on my dryer. Been doing this for 35 plus years. Hope this helps.

This is what I do -- I don't like adding more chemicals to the cloth but like to get the excess dye out -- particularly the deep blue, red and black.