Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batting bearding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-bearding-t192420.html)

ljfox 06-21-2012 03:44 PM

batting bearding

I have a midnight blue backing on the quilt I am finishing and in some places there are little white spots of batting poking through the needle holes. I blame myself for not putting in a new needle before longarming it. Anyone have a tip on how to make it look better? It is a gift for my neice and really doesn't look that bad, I just would prefer it not have the spots. I used warm and white batting. Any ideas how to fix it?

QuiltnLady1 06-21-2012 03:53 PM

Have you washed and dried the quilt yet? That usually helps closing the needle holes.

ljfox 06-21-2012 04:03 PM

I have not washed it yet. I was debating washing it before giving it to her. The wedding shower is on Sunday. Will a King size quilt fit in a regular washer or would I have to take it to the laundromat? I usually give the quilts unwashed and let the recipient deal with it!

Silly Sally 06-21-2012 04:06 PM

wiskers:

Originally Posted by ljfox (Post 5306843)
I have a midnight blue backing on the quilt I am finishing and in some places there are little white spots of batting poking through the needle holes. I blame myself for not putting in a new needle before longarming it. Anyone have a tip on how to make it look better? It is a gift for my neice and really doesn't look that bad, I just would prefer it not have the spots. I used warm and white batting. Any ideas how to fix it?

After you have washed your quilt, if there are any wiskers left, take your longest needle and slip it in between the batt and the blue and move it sideways. This should pull those wiskers back in the middle. Good Luck..

momto5 06-21-2012 05:22 PM

And if all else fails, there's always the trusty Sharpie trick...:)

Xtgirl 06-21-2012 06:00 PM

You can try using a toothbrush or even a lint brush and lightly brush side to side where you see the bearding..it will go away when washed so if it's not too bad you could just tell them that.

jaciqltznok 06-21-2012 07:18 PM

laundromat!

JustAbitCrazy 06-22-2012 01:21 AM

When I had that happen I poked each bit back inside. I think I used a dull machine needle. I think another thing which can contrubute to that happening is putting the batting in the quilt upside down. If there is a rough and smooth surface to the batting, the rough side should face the quilt top.

Pat M. 06-22-2012 10:24 AM

Not for this quilt but the next time you have a dark fabric use a dark batting.

SouthPStitches 06-22-2012 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5307582)
When I had that happen I poked each bit back inside. I think I used a dull machine needle. I think another thing which can contrubute to that happening is putting the batting in the quilt upside down. If there is a rough and smooth surface to the batting, the rough side should face the quilt top.

Never knew about a right/wrong side to batting. Have been quilting 30+ years and can learn something daily on QB. Thanks for sharing!