Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is batting necessary? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-necessary-t192730.html)

cjackaitlin 06-25-2012 03:16 PM

I jusst finished a DresdenPlate quilt for the summer, I didn't use batting for two reasons. First the Plate is sitting on another peice of fabric and second It was to heavy to put a batting in. It gets very hot here in RI. So do what yyou want and enjoy the process. Mary

KyKaren1949 06-27-2012 03:08 AM

My mother in law has a quilt without backing-just a regularly pieced top with a solid fabric backing. It's hand tied for lighter weight. Her friend made it for her and she was told it was a "summer" quilt. Since seeing this one, I've read about the "summer quilts." Apparently they were more common awhile back.

Cindy60545 06-27-2012 03:39 AM

I agree with a lot of the others. Do whatever way pleases you. If the guys want to have 3 layers, send them to the LQS for lessons!

jeanneb52 06-27-2012 04:44 AM

You did just what I would have done..most have batting, some have none. I am just binding one that has no batting and is backed with flannel. It is a "summer quilt". Just enough for a cool summer night.
Do what you want! It is your quilt.

teddysmom 06-27-2012 04:49 AM

It's YOUR quilt. Do whatever you want to do!

shelburn 06-27-2012 04:53 AM

My friend's granny helped us make quilts when I was a kid. She made some of her quilts without batting and she called them "counterpanes" mostly used for summer on the beds just to give a lighter cover when needed in their old farmhouse. I always liked the rustic and romantic sound of the word counterpane, and now use it for any quilt that doesn't have batting. I have looked up the word, but the definition seems rather blurry and open to inturpretation. Guess it is up to the individual. Shelburn

Caswews 06-27-2012 05:26 AM

Its a preference ... of yours ! Like the song says .. do what you want to do !

MimiBug123 06-27-2012 06:13 AM

LOL! Ask them to show you the last quilts they made, then tell them to offer advice. Do what you want! It is, after all, your quilt or blankie or wrap or whatever!

ShirlinAZ 06-27-2012 06:29 AM

Rules only apply to quilts entered in shows. Do like our ancestors did - whatever is appropriate for your circumstances. In Phoenix bed quilts don't need much if any batting, but in the mountains of Arizona most quilts will need good batting. I'm sure the same thing applies in other areas of the country. Also, the time of year could make a difference. For a baby born in late spring or summer I wouldn't want a heavy quilt. For a baby born in the fall or early winter I would.

May in Jersey 06-27-2012 06:33 AM

I think adding batting to a baby quilt that has a minkee backing would make the quilt too heavy. I like my baby quilts to be lightweight, after all they cover very tiny kids.

I make a lot of string quilts for charity using a large square of fabric as the foundation for each block. Between the foundation, fabric strips, many seams and lots of thread the blocks are pretty heavy. I skip using batting and back the quilt with flannel. Quilt is nice and cuddly without being really heavy.