Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is batting necessary? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-necessary-t192730.html)

sap 06-27-2012 09:13 AM

I make a fleese quilt/blanket out a single layer of fleese w 5/8" seam. Snip the seam to make it look kinda raggy. I call them a woobbie and my friend takes one of his woobbies w him if he is going to be gone over night.
I feel if I sewed it back together the way I want to I can call it what ever I want. Quilt or woobbie take your choice. O call by what ever you want, I don't care.

CoalTownQuilter 06-27-2012 09:28 AM

I've made several quilts with minkee on the back, two of which were extra long queen sized tshirt quilts. I did not put batting in them because the quilt itself is VERY warm and heavy just having the minkee backing!

Peepers 06-27-2012 10:03 AM

I have a couple of gorgeous vintage summer quilts that don't have a middle layer and I just made myself a summer quilt with muslin for the "batting." I agree with gollytwo - when they start quilting they can do as they please!

maxnme01 06-27-2012 05:04 PM

I made a "summer" quilt for my bed and I only used a thin fleecy blanket as the backing. When I showed it at quilt guild and told them what I did everyone got excited and said they had never thought of making a summer quilt in that manner. As it turns out the quilt is still too warm when it's 100 degrees here BUT I can always turn it back and sleep with just the sheet. I put it together pillow case style so no binding was needed and it was thin enough on the edges so that all I did was stitch about a 1/2" all around to keep the edge from rolling. For added fun I machine embroidered butterflies randomly on the top to make it look more like a traditional quilt.

Tell your family when they make their quilt they can make it anyway they want. It's called creativity.

nstitches4u 06-27-2012 05:27 PM

I made a flannel rag quilt for my DH. I used batting in it and it was so heavy and warm that DH couldn't use it---and he is always cold! The next 2 rag quilts I made for my grandsons were made without batting. They loved them and used them constantly. I don't think you need batting in flannel, fleece or Minkee backed quilts. Ignore the quilt police. LOL

JanTx 06-27-2012 06:55 PM

My 5-year-old grandson is asleep on my couch right now - waiting for his dad to come pick him up. He's sleeping under a "quilt" my son was given by a church lady when he graduated from high school - 14 years ago. It's a pieced top and solid cotton backing. There are a few straight quilting lines and that's it. Perfect weight. My grandmother also called these "summer quilts". In all of these the middle layer is love. :)

JanTx 06-27-2012 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pic of sleeping grandboy under summer quilt.

Neesie 06-27-2012 08:18 PM

Awwwww! What a sweet, little angel! Priceless picture! :)

emlee51 06-28-2012 05:26 PM

If I were making a quilt to be used in the summer (maybe one for the porch swing, or a tablecloth) I wouldn't use batting. I live in MT so batting is a must for the bed quilts!

earthwalker 06-28-2012 05:35 PM

See....there are no rules....just do whatever you need depending on the use/circumstance. I reckon if our quilting ancestors could see the amazing products available to us, they'd do backflips....minkee, panels, amazing threads, the internet, blogs, easy to quilt battings....they would be astounded.