Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-question-t170744.html)

stitchengramie 12-03-2011 04:05 AM

Batting Question

I have a question about a batting product called Quilters Dream 100% Cotton Batting and Quilters Dream Angel Flame Retardant Batting. I was wondering if anyone has used ether one before.

Take Care,
Mary

ckcowl 12-03-2011 04:34 AM

oh i LOVE the batts from the Dream Company!!!the Dream cotton is softer than warm & natural- the dream poly is lofty, soft & cozy- great for utility quilts (quilts that get used ALOT) Dream wool is my all time favorite batting over all- dream Orient is so luxurious there should be a law...dream Bamboo- another very nice to use
i have not tried the flame retardant one- but if thats what you are looking for- i bet it is just as wonderful as all their other batts-
i've even made half a dozen quilts with Dream Green batting (the one made from recycled bottles) it needled beautifully and has held up to multiply washing/drying- and the quilts still look great/drape beauifully- i have not found a batt from the Dream Company i don't like...i use them often

Scissor Queen 12-03-2011 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 4746052)
oh i LOVE the batts from the Dream Company!!!the Dream cotton is softer than warm & natural- the dream poly is lofty, soft & cozy- great for utility quilts (quilts that get used ALOT) Dream wool is my all time favorite batting over all- dream Orient is so luxurious there should be a law...dream Bamboo- another very nice to use
i have not tried the flame retardant one- but if thats what you are looking for- i bet it is just as wonderful as all their other batts-
i've even made half a dozen quilts with Dream Green batting (the one made from recycled bottles) it needled beautifully and has held up to multiply washing/drying- and the quilts still look great/drape beauifully- i have not found a batt from the Dream Company i don't like...i use them often

I agree 100%!! I love Dream battings!

pscott392 12-03-2011 05:34 AM

I haven't used them yet, but got a brochure from my LQS with samples attached of the different products in their line. There's a short write-up about each one under each sample. I definitely plan on using one, it's just deciding which one.

lfletcher 12-03-2011 06:31 AM

I love the Dream cotton batting. I have not tried the flame retardant version so can't help you with that one. I have tried the 70/30 and that's the only one I wasn't crazy about, but that's probably just a personal preference.

NJ Quilter 12-03-2011 06:40 AM

My friend uses the Dream 100% cotton batting all the time. It has a lovely drape and feel to it. No personal experience other than fondling her quilts when we do show & tell!

An Arm Long 12-03-2011 07:39 AM

I just finished a baby quilt with Dream Angel flame retardant batting and it was very nice. It quilted well and was so soft. I love all the Quilters Dream batting as well.

Prism99 12-03-2011 10:12 AM

I haven't used Dream battings yet, but have always heard good things about them. One thing to consider is that it is really not necessary to use flame retardant battings in quilts. A quilt is not going to go up in flames the way a nightgown would, because the quilt is thick. Nightgowns are a flame hazard because air is accessible to the fire from both sides of the fabric simultaneously. The thickness of a quilt means that less air is available to flame, so a fire will move more slowly through it.

There is a trade-off with using flame retardant batting, and that would be the chemicals in the batting. These chemicals are worth the trade-off in loose children's PJs, but not IMO in quilts. If a quilt starts on fire, you have time to get it away from a child. With loose PJs, the child is engulfed in flames before anyone can move. So, my choice for a quilt would be the 100% cotton batting. Cotton gets softer with every washing too. As for the treated batting, the chemicals eventually wash out. With the amount of washing that a child's quilt gets, my guess is that flame retardant qualities typically last less than a year.

mountainmammo 12-03-2011 10:41 AM

Quilter's Dream batting is wonderful! I have used the Dream poly in different weights for everything from wallhangings to king-size quilts. There is a fairly new one now called Dream Puff that is super warm. My LAQ uses Dream Cotton in her quilts. Once you try it, you will be hooked.

mountainmammo

stitchengramie 12-03-2011 12:31 PM

Thanks everyone for your input about Quilters Dream Batting. Now all I need to do is find a shop that sells it.

Mary/stitchengramie