Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Batting Question

  1. #1
    Senior Member stitchengramie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    767

    Batting Question

    I have a question about a batting product called Quilters Dream 100% Cotton Batting and Quilters Dream Angel Flame Retardant Batting. I was wondering if anyone has used ether one before.

    Take Care,
    Mary
    "Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds" George Eliot

  2. #2
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,165
    Blog Entries
    1
    oh i LOVE the batts from the Dream Company!!!the Dream cotton is softer than warm & natural- the dream poly is lofty, soft & cozy- great for utility quilts (quilts that get used ALOT) Dream wool is my all time favorite batting over all- dream Orient is so luxurious there should be a law...dream Bamboo- another very nice to use
    i have not tried the flame retardant one- but if thats what you are looking for- i bet it is just as wonderful as all their other batts-
    i've even made half a dozen quilts with Dream Green batting (the one made from recycled bottles) it needled beautifully and has held up to multiply washing/drying- and the quilts still look great/drape beauifully- i have not found a batt from the Dream Company i don't like...i use them often
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  3. #3
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    oh i LOVE the batts from the Dream Company!!!the Dream cotton is softer than warm & natural- the dream poly is lofty, soft & cozy- great for utility quilts (quilts that get used ALOT) Dream wool is my all time favorite batting over all- dream Orient is so luxurious there should be a law...dream Bamboo- another very nice to use
    i have not tried the flame retardant one- but if thats what you are looking for- i bet it is just as wonderful as all their other batts-
    i've even made half a dozen quilts with Dream Green batting (the one made from recycled bottles) it needled beautifully and has held up to multiply washing/drying- and the quilts still look great/drape beauifully- i have not found a batt from the Dream Company i don't like...i use them often

    I agree 100%!! I love Dream battings!

  4. #4
    Senior Member pscott392's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Morristown, TN
    Posts
    667
    Blog Entries
    1
    I haven't used them yet, but got a brochure from my LQS with samples attached of the different products in their line. There's a short write-up about each one under each sample. I definitely plan on using one, it's just deciding which one.

  5. #5
    Senior Member lfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    931
    I love the Dream cotton batting. I have not tried the flame retardant version so can't help you with that one. I have tried the 70/30 and that's the only one I wasn't crazy about, but that's probably just a personal preference.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    4,579
    My friend uses the Dream 100% cotton batting all the time. It has a lovely drape and feel to it. No personal experience other than fondling her quilts when we do show & tell!

  7. #7
    Junior Member An Arm Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Maryland's Eastern Shore
    Posts
    223
    I just finished a baby quilt with Dream Angel flame retardant batting and it was very nice. It quilted well and was so soft. I love all the Quilters Dream batting as well.
    Beth in Maryland

  8. #8
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,877
    Blog Entries
    1
    I haven't used Dream battings yet, but have always heard good things about them. One thing to consider is that it is really not necessary to use flame retardant battings in quilts. A quilt is not going to go up in flames the way a nightgown would, because the quilt is thick. Nightgowns are a flame hazard because air is accessible to the fire from both sides of the fabric simultaneously. The thickness of a quilt means that less air is available to flame, so a fire will move more slowly through it.

    There is a trade-off with using flame retardant batting, and that would be the chemicals in the batting. These chemicals are worth the trade-off in loose children's PJs, but not IMO in quilts. If a quilt starts on fire, you have time to get it away from a child. With loose PJs, the child is engulfed in flames before anyone can move. So, my choice for a quilt would be the 100% cotton batting. Cotton gets softer with every washing too. As for the treated batting, the chemicals eventually wash out. With the amount of washing that a child's quilt gets, my guess is that flame retardant qualities typically last less than a year.

  9. #9
    Member mountainmammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Allenspark, Colorado
    Posts
    41
    Quilter's Dream batting is wonderful! I have used the Dream poly in different weights for everything from wallhangings to king-size quilts. There is a fairly new one now called Dream Puff that is super warm. My LAQ uses Dream Cotton in her quilts. Once you try it, you will be hooked.

    mountainmammo
    This above all else,to thine own self be true.-----Shakespeare

  10. #10
    Senior Member stitchengramie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    767
    Thanks everyone for your input about Quilters Dream Batting. Now all I need to do is find a shop that sells it.

    Mary/stitchengramie
    "Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds" George Eliot

  11. #11
    Senior Member RV Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of TX
    Posts
    368
    Blog Entries
    6
    The Dream batting is great. I use it all the time and particularly like the green recycled. It lays nice and my LA loves working with it. I order mine from Hancocks of Paducah. I like to do it when they have free shipping and order a couple.
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

  12. #12
    Super Member valleyquiltermo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    MO.
    Posts
    2,685
    Great product, you'll love it. I do hope your G-kids quilts are coming along nicely.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

  13. #13
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,660
    I agree whole-heartedly! I love the stuff. Their website has a ton of information...descriptions of each type, a users guide, and a list of places that sell it. I got mine from my longarmer...she's the one that turned me on to it. http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/
    Last edited by ghostrider; 12-03-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

  14. #14
    Super Member Rose L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nebraska..The Good Life
    Posts
    2,142
    Blog Entries
    1
    Prism99, Would you mind printing some links to where you got your information from? My daughter and I were just discussing this the other day and I'd like to send her the links. Thank you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I haven't used Dream battings yet, but have always heard good things about them. One thing to consider is that it is really not necessary to use flame retardant battings in quilts. A quilt is not going to go up in flames the way a nightgown would, because the quilt is thick. Nightgowns are a flame hazard because air is accessible to the fire from both sides of the fabric simultaneously. The thickness of a quilt means that less air is available to flame, so a fire will move more slowly through it.

    There is a trade-off with using flame retardant batting, and that would be the chemicals in the batting. These chemicals are worth the trade-off in loose children's PJs, but not IMO in quilts. If a quilt starts on fire, you have time to get it away from a child. With loose PJs, the child is engulfed in flames before anyone can move. So, my choice for a quilt would be the 100% cotton batting. Cotton gets softer with every washing too. As for the treated batting, the chemicals eventually wash out. With the amount of washing that a child's quilt gets, my guess is that flame retardant qualities typically last less than a year.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

  15. #15
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Children's sleepwear only stays flame retardant for so many washings... and that depends on how closely you follow the manufacturer's washing instructions. The use of bleach, spot removers, Clorox II, etc, shortens the life of the retardant. Most kids wear their jammies a lot longer than the retardant lasts.
    So my question is, how long does the flame resistant properties last in this batting?

    I found this information on a government website a couple of years ago
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Snohomish WA
    Posts
    868
    Blog Entries
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Quilter View Post
    The Dream batting is great.... I order mine from Hancocks of Paducah. I like to do it when they have free shipping and order a couple.
    Wish they carried the king size Dream Puff as they seem to have better prices there.

  17. #17
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,877
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
    Prism99, Would you mind printing some links to where you got your information from? My daughter and I were just discussing this the other day and I'd like to send her the links. Thank you.
    If you Google flame retardant children's pajamas, you will find lots of information. Here are some websites to start with:
    http://www.pediatricsafety.net/2009/...me-retardants/
    http://www.essortment.com/flame-resi...rsy-56191.html

    Years ago I saw the flamability of a child's nightgown demonstrated on tv on a mannequin. They touched a lit match to the hem of a cotton nightgown and the nightgown exploded upwards to engulf the mannequin in something less than 3 seconds -- much too fast for an adult to drop and roll the child; hair would have already been on fire by that time. The same problem would occur with boy's loose-fitting PJs made out of cotton. That's the primary reason legislation was passed in the 70's to reduce children's deaths from fire. Statistics show that the legislation was effective, as child deaths from fire were reduced significantly in subsequent years. I'm sure there is a government website with that info online; I just don't have time to look for it tonight. Anyway, that's why so much of the flannel sold in stores is labeled "not for children's sleepwear".

    In the same tv demo, they showed the problems with synthetic fabrics for sleepwear. It's true that they do not flame the way untreated cotton does; however, polyesters and other synthetics "melt". The resulting beads of liquid synthetic are very sticky and therefore can create very deep burns wherever they touch the skin.

    As you can see from the websites above, there are also problems with the chemicals used to treat cotton fabric to make it flame retardant.

    As for cotton quilts not burning in the same way that loose cotton nightgowns do, this can be tested with a sample. It will burn, but it will burn slowly; the quilt will not burst into flames the way flimsy draperies will. This is because a quilt is thick and air cannot reach the fabric from both sides simultaneously. Fire needs air to burn.

    Everyone needs to make their own decisions. For children's sleepwear, my preference is for close-fitting 100% cotton that is not treated with flame retardant. (It is legal to sell untreated cotton sleepwear for children as long as it is close-fitting to the body, because this prevents both sides of the fabric from being exposed to air.) For quilt batting, my preference is for 100% cotton without flame retardant. I think it's a good idea to reduce children's exposure to chemicals in the environment whenever it is safe to do so.

    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Prism99; 12-03-2011 at 09:12 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Snohomish WA
    Posts
    868
    Blog Entries
    15
    Thank you for the extensive information, and all the time it took you to compile and type it for everyone's benefit.

    Question re: poly battings -- Wondering if the chemicals in their manufacturing will "wash out", and if so, if that takes several washings or just one or two. I suppose even the cotton batts have some processing chemicals on them.

  19. #19
    Super Member SueSew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nawth o' Boston
    Posts
    1,870
    I just finished quilting a 60-inch square quilt using the 100% cotton and it is a Dream. SO SOFT!!! I did my very first FMQ on that quilt - large stippling in the background blocks - and it is still nice and softl. It wasn't difficult to munge the quilt around my machine to quilt it, much softer than Joanne's 80-20 and even softer than warm-natural. I can't wait to finish the binding and wash it and see how it puffs up!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Snohomish WA
    Posts
    868
    Blog Entries
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
    I just finished quilting a 60-inch square quilt using the 100% cotton and it is a Dream. SO SOFT!!! I did my very first FMQ on that quilt - large stippling in the background blocks - and it is still nice and softl. It wasn't difficult to munge the quilt around my machine to quilt it, much softer than Joanne's 80-20 and even softer than warm-natural. I can't wait to finish the binding and wash it and see how it puffs up!
    Is this a Quilter's Dream 100% cotton batting you're referring to?
    Looking forward to seeing the finished results. I like the idea of cotton batting but am not thrilled with how flat the Warm & Natural or Warm & White finishes out.
    Thanks for posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.