Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-question-t185859.html)

tsnana2000 04-12-2012 07:13 PM

Batting Question

What is your favorite brand of batting and why?

Lori S 04-12-2012 07:22 PM

It depends widely on what the project is. Table runners and things I want a bit more structure it is Warm and Natural. For quilts that I want a bit of weight I also prefer cotton over poly. But I do double bat , one layer of Warm and Natural and one of a low loft poly. I also like Hobbs 80/20 but sometimes can't find it local. For light weight and great drape it Cream Rose or Cream White. For the ultimate in warmth it is wool batting.

kathleenq 04-12-2012 07:39 PM

I love warm and natural. works out great.

117becca 04-13-2012 01:15 AM

I agree with the "depends on my project". I am a hand-quilter and I have used warm & natural and like the ease of being able to find it at JoAnn's being able to use a coupon with it & because I can buy it by the yard, I can get what i need. That makes it relatively inexpensive to buy. However, I'm currently making a lap quilt for a friend and I have flannel on the back, so warm and natural was going to make it way too heavy. The quilt store recommended Quilters Dream Request - a lightweight batting. And i absolutely LOVE it!!

I never use poly batting, just don't like it, hard to explain. I do like the vintage wrinkly look that you get when the quilt shrinks up when washing.

sewbeadit 04-13-2012 01:29 AM

Depends on my projects too, but for the most part Warm and Natural.

NJ Quilter 04-13-2012 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca (Post 5136971)
I agree with the "depends on my project". I am a hand-quilter and I have used warm & natural and like the ease of being able to find it at JoAnn's being able to use a coupon with it & because I can buy it by the yard, I can get what i need. That makes it relatively inexpensive to buy. However, I'm currently making a lap quilt for a friend and I have flannel on the back, so warm and natural was going to make it way too heavy. The quilt store recommended Quilters Dream Request - a lightweight batting. And i absolutely LOVE it!!

I never use poly batting, just don't like it, hard to explain. I do like the vintage wrinkly look that you get when the quilt shrinks up when washing.

I agree with everything here except I've never used the Quilter's Dream. My friend uses it all the time and it does have a lovely drape. When I exhaust my bolt of W&N, I'm going to give it a try. I like all natural fibers, so 100% cotton (or wool/silk/etc.) would be my batting of choice.

sweetana3 04-13-2012 02:40 AM

I have tried a lot and usually make big quilts. Warm and Natural is lovely but so very heavy in a big quilt. Now I use Quilters Dream and it is pretty perfect. I was surprised by its reasonable cost also at my local LQS.

Tried the recycled plastic batting and it was great for a heavily used quilt but not as soft and drapey as QD.

teddysmom 04-13-2012 05:41 AM

I like Hobbs 80/20 or warm and natural if I can't find the Hobbs. I just bought some Mountain Mist 50/50. Never used it before but couldn't find the others. Has anyone else used the Mountain Mist?

Sadiemae 04-13-2012 06:47 AM

I don't know the brand because it was cut from a bolt, but the newer wool battings are wonderful. I just cannot afford wool, because it is quite spendy.

Writergrrl 04-13-2012 06:56 AM

I prefer Warm & Natural, but take that for what it's worth. I haven't tried that many. I did try poly and found it difficult to work with. I prefer cotton.