Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting Question

Batting Question

What is your favorite brand of batting and why?

Kathie

It depends widely on what the project is. Table runners and things I want a bit more structure it is Warm and Natural. For quilts that I want a bit of weight I also prefer cotton over poly. But I do double bat , one layer of Warm and Natural and one of a low loft poly. I also like Hobbs 80/20 but sometimes can't find it local. For light weight and great drape it Cream Rose or Cream White. For the ultimate in warmth it is wool batting.

I love warm and natural. works out great.

I agree with the "depends on my project". I am a hand-quilter and I have used warm & natural and like the ease of being able to find it at JoAnn's being able to use a coupon with it & because I can buy it by the yard, I can get what i need. That makes it relatively inexpensive to buy. However, I'm currently making a lap quilt for a friend and I have flannel on the back, so warm and natural was going to make it way too heavy. The quilt store recommended Quilters Dream Request - a lightweight batting. And i absolutely LOVE it!!

I never use poly batting, just don't like it, hard to explain. I do like the vintage wrinkly look that you get when the quilt shrinks up when washing.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Depends on my projects too, but for the most part Warm and Natural.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I agree with the "depends on my project". I am a hand-quilter and I have used warm & natural and like the ease of being able to find it at JoAnn's being able to use a coupon with it & because I can buy it by the yard, I can get what i need. That makes it relatively inexpensive to buy. However, I'm currently making a lap quilt for a friend and I have flannel on the back, so warm and natural was going to make it way too heavy. The quilt store recommended Quilters Dream Request - a lightweight batting. And i absolutely LOVE it!!

I never use poly batting, just don't like it, hard to explain. I do like the vintage wrinkly look that you get when the quilt shrinks up when washing.
    I agree with everything here except I've never used the Quilter's Dream. My friend uses it all the time and it does have a lovely drape. When I exhaust my bolt of W&N, I'm going to give it a try. I like all natural fibers, so 100% cotton (or wool/silk/etc.) would be my batting of choice.

I have tried a lot and usually make big quilts. Warm and Natural is lovely but so very heavy in a big quilt. Now I use Quilters Dream and it is pretty perfect. I was surprised by its reasonable cost also at my local LQS.

Tried the recycled plastic batting and it was great for a heavily used quilt but not as soft and drapey as QD.

I like Hobbs 80/20 or warm and natural if I can't find the Hobbs. I just bought some Mountain Mist 50/50. Never used it before but couldn't find the others. Has anyone else used the Mountain Mist?

Blog Entries
    I don't know the brand because it was cut from a bolt, but the newer wool battings are wonderful. I just cannot afford wool, because it is quite spendy.
    Sadiemae

I prefer Warm & Natural, but take that for what it's worth. I haven't tried that many. I did try poly and found it difficult to work with. I prefer cotton.
    Jenny in DC

I like Quilter's Dream either the cotton or the poly and Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. I don't like Warm and Natural.

Hobbs 80/20 is the batting I use most of the time. I also like Quilters Dream battings and have used them for special project. I also use good quality poly for baby and kid quilts as they get a lot of washing and I've found they hold up very well. In fact, my 14 year old granddaughter's baby quilt is still in great shape with it's inexpensive fabrics and cheap poly batting. I know her Mom has washed is many, many times and just threw it into the dryer.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I only use wool batting. It makes the quilt a bit fluffier and so much warmer. I use this on everything but wall hangings and table runners.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I've used Fairfield Bamboo blend, very soft for a kids quilt, but my janome wasn't overly fond of it for fmq. Mostly I use the Quilters Dream-Select, it is also nice and soft and has a nice drape-this is the one I keep stocked up on. I bought a bunch of king sized at Hancock's of Paducah the last time they had a sale after the prices started going up, I can get a couple of lap-sized out of each or a queen/king. I also tried the Deluxe on a king quilt and don't like it quite as much. I've also tried the Hobbs 80/20 and its ok, but not as soft as the QDream.

Quilters Dream. More consistent product. They have everything from poly to cotton to bamboo to the blend. Manufacture a large variety of sizes. USA manufactured--Virginia Beach Virginia. AWESOME customer service. You can order direct....one batting at a time or a case at a time. Easy to do business with. Ship quickly....I could go on and on. It's now the only brand I carry!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me... View Post
    Quilters Dream. More consistent product. They have everything from poly to cotton to bamboo to the blend. Manufacture a large variety of sizes. USA manufactured--Virginia Beach Virginia. AWESOME customer service. You can order direct....one batting at a time or a case at a time. Easy to do business with. Ship quickly....I could go on and on. It's now the only brand I carry!
    This is what I have found also. I did try W&N once but it didn't drape as well as Quilters Dream. I also love QD wool batting.

Power Poster
    I love Hobbs 80/20 fusible for machine quilting. I think I would like using the 505 fusible spray but I have allergy problems. I think I may try it with regular Hobbs 80/20 this summer when I can spray outside. I will not go back to pin or thread basting, ever!

Blog Entries
    any of the batts from the Dream company- Dream wool is my all time favorite- followed by dream poly, Dream orient, Dream bamboo, and dream cotton- in that order-
    after the Dream batts i turn to Hobbs- heirloom, 80/20, select, cotton, poly or wool the hobbs black poly batt is a nice one for dark projects
    I love the wool batts for their wonderful loft, ease of handling, they needle like a dream, drape beautifully, are lightweight and launder beautifully.
    very seldom do i choose a warm & natural batt-unless for a purse/tote, other item- they are so-dense, flat, and heavy- they quilt up ok though i guess- i do have customers who always use them and bring them with their quilts- i dont' mind using what they bring- i just do not choose them for my quilts.
    as with many i choose my batting according to the project it's for.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Thank you for the input!!

Kathie

Silk is nice too but spendy. I love the wool batting too.