Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Question >

Batting Question

Batting Question

Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 AM

I like Quilter's Dream either the cotton or the poly and Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. I don't like Warm and Natural.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:39 AM

Hobbs 80/20 is the batting I use most of the time. I also like Quilters Dream battings and have used them for special project. I also use good quality poly for baby and kid quilts as they get a lot of washing and I've found they hold up very well. In fact, my 14 year old granddaughter's baby quilt is still in great shape with it's inexpensive fabrics and cheap poly batting. I know her Mom has washed is many, many times and just threw it into the dryer.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I only use wool batting. It makes the quilt a bit fluffier and so much warmer. I use this on everything but wall hangings and table runners.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:13 AM

I've used Fairfield Bamboo blend, very soft for a kids quilt, but my janome wasn't overly fond of it for fmq. Mostly I use the Quilters Dream-Select, it is also nice and soft and has a nice drape-this is the one I keep stocked up on. I bought a bunch of king sized at Hancock's of Paducah the last time they had a sale after the prices started going up, I can get a couple of lap-sized out of each or a queen/king. I also tried the Deluxe on a king quilt and don't like it quite as much. I've also tried the Hobbs 80/20 and its ok, but not as soft as the QDream.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Quilters Dream. More consistent product. They have everything from poly to cotton to bamboo to the blend. Manufacture a large variety of sizes. USA manufactured--Virginia Beach Virginia. AWESOME customer service. You can order direct....one batting at a time or a case at a time. Easy to do business with. Ship quickly....I could go on and on. It's now the only brand I carry!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Just Me... View Post
Quilters Dream. More consistent product. They have everything from poly to cotton to bamboo to the blend. Manufacture a large variety of sizes. USA manufactured--Virginia Beach Virginia. AWESOME customer service. You can order direct....one batting at a time or a case at a time. Easy to do business with. Ship quickly....I could go on and on. It's now the only brand I carry!
This is what I have found also. I did try W&N once but it didn't drape as well as Quilters Dream. I also love QD wool batting.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

I love Hobbs 80/20 fusible for machine quilting. I think I would like using the 505 fusible spray but I have allergy problems. I think I may try it with regular Hobbs 80/20 this summer when I can spray outside. I will not go back to pin or thread basting, ever!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

any of the batts from the Dream company- Dream wool is my all time favorite- followed by dream poly, Dream orient, Dream bamboo, and dream cotton- in that order-
after the Dream batts i turn to Hobbs- heirloom, 80/20, select, cotton, poly or wool the hobbs black poly batt is a nice one for dark projects
I love the wool batts for their wonderful loft, ease of handling, they needle like a dream, drape beautifully, are lightweight and launder beautifully.
very seldom do i choose a warm & natural batt-unless for a purse/tote, other item- they are so-dense, flat, and heavy- they quilt up ok though i guess- i do have customers who always use them and bring them with their quilts- i dont' mind using what they bring- i just do not choose them for my quilts.
as with many i choose my batting according to the project it's for.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 PM

Thank you for the input!!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 PM

Silk is nice too but spendy. I love the wool batting too.