Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-question-t227192.html)

meyert 08-03-2013 11:19 AM

Batting question

Hello.... I am making my son a quilt to take with him to college. Its not a pieced quilt, he didn't want anything "busy" its just going to be very simple... but I have a batting question. Does the batting make the quilt warmer - or can it make it too warm? I have minky material for backing and the front will be flannel. I really like the look of batting in a quilt... the puff makes it look cuddly and comfy. But I don't want the quilt to be too hot either...... any ideas? Will some batting be less warm than others?

Tartan 08-03-2013 11:26 AM

Are you planning to quilt or tie the layers together? Some use fleece or Minky backing for quilts and don't add any batt.

Prism99 08-03-2013 11:32 AM

Batting affects warmth. There are so many batting choices, we really need to know whether you intend to quilt or tie before making a recommendation. Also whether you want it to have only a little added warmth, moderate added warmth, or a lot of added warmth.

meyert 08-03-2013 12:27 PM

Thank you for your replies. I want to add as little warmth as possible. I have done quilts with fleece that I have not added any batting to - and that is fine. I just like the look of batting once it is quilted.. the puff created looks very comfy. I will most likely machine quilt this... not exactly sure what you mean by "tie". Do you mean the no sew quilts?

ManiacQuilter2 08-03-2013 12:31 PM

Just for you to know, I hope that you tie the quilt because I have heard a lot of quilters have posted their problems when quilting with Minkie because it can so easily stretch !!

meyert 08-03-2013 12:34 PM

What do you mean by "tie the quilt"? I don't know what you mean, please explain.

Tartan 08-03-2013 01:04 PM

Instead of quilting quilts, some people "tie" their quilts. You thread a large needle with yarn, embroidery floss, perle cotton etc. and with your quilt laying on a flat surface, you go through the layer from the top, go under about 1/4 inch of the sandwich and back up to the top. Tie the 2 ends of the thread together in a double knot and clip the threads at about 1/2 inch long. These " ties" are made every 3 -4 inches over the surface of the quilt.

meyert 08-03-2013 01:19 PM

Thank you for your explanation Tartan. I have done this before years ago, I must have done it wrong because they came untied so I am afraid to do that again..... does Minky stretch so much that it is unable to be machine quilted?

jalling 08-03-2013 03:37 PM

I have quilted baby quilts with minky and no batting. They are lightweight and cozy. I didn't have any problem quilting with minky on my reg sewing machine.

meyert 08-03-2013 04:13 PM

Thank you for your response jalling. I am just starting my blanket and I have never used minky before, but have always wanted to