Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting in rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-rag-quilt-t224160.html)

2blackcats 06-22-2013 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by CGail (Post 6134728)
I do not use batting. The two flannel squares make a good weight baby blanket.

This is what I do, the quilt is warm and cozy. It's a matter of personal choice, use batting or not.

Trisher 06-22-2013 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my 2 cents:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]420493[/ATTACH]
Flannel Quilt Recipe
I use three layers of flannel (I use diaper flannel as the middle layer). Cut the squares all the same size (i use 8 inches). Make the three layer quilt sandwiches and sew an X through. Arrange in a pleasing fashion and sew together using at least a 1/2 inch seam. Then use snips (invest in a pair if you are going to make more than one rag quilt) to fringe the seams (I snip 4 to 5 snips per inch). Toss in washer and dryer. Beautiful! Then gift to baby of your choice!

mollymunchkin 06-22-2013 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This one has two layers as the baby will be born in So Cal in August. I stitched little hearts in the center to hold them together. I have made others with three layers of flannel and they worked just as well, just a little heavier. I don't like using batting, it doesn't have the right feel to it imho.

rainbowzebra 06-22-2013 10:34 AM

I made four rag uilts for grandkids bunk beds, I cut low loft batting 1 inch smaller, sew X thru middle, 1/2 inch seams, Pretty much the same as everyone else has said. but the tip I have is snipping the seam allowances is the most boring job in the whole world so snip as you go. I did any seam allowance that would not be sewn again. Good luck and have fun

carolaug 06-22-2013 10:57 AM

I use coton on one side, warm and natural batting and flannel on the other...its freezing here in the winter so the warmer the better. I also do the X in the middle of each square. Oh and I make the batting one inch smaller than the other two squares.

NUBQ 06-22-2013 01:35 PM

These 8 1/2 " Fiskars looks like my next purchase.. the pruning Fiskars do the job on my rag purses and baby quilts, as long as it's not too thick, but these look perfect...thanks mengler...

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-2-Inch...s+rag+quilting

woodju3 06-29-2013 04:23 AM

Yes, that is what I was thinking. The batting in the seam would keep it from shifting. That's what I was confused about. All of the directions I found seemed like the batting was cut smaller and not included in the seam. I went ahead and finished sewing the quilt and I'm at the point of clipping the seams. It looks nice but I bought fabric for new quilt. This one will have flannel for the middle layer so I won't have to worry about the batting in the seam or not.

woodju3 06-29-2013 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Trisher (Post 6136963)
Here is my 2 cents:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]420493[/ATTACH]
Flannel Quilt Recipe
I use three layers of flannel (I use diaper flannel as the middle layer). Cut the squares all the same size (i use 8 inches). Make the three layer quilt sandwiches and sew an X through. Arrange in a pleasing fashion and sew together using at least a 1/2 inch seam. Then use snips (invest in a pair if you are going to make more than one rag quilt) to fringe the seams (I snip 4 to 5 snips per inch). Toss in washer and dryer. Beautiful! Then gift to baby of your choice!

Wow, what a beautiful quilt!! I love the colors and the pattern.

WesternWilson 09-19-2018 07:40 AM

Years ago when rag quilts first were popular, the instructions were to use a soft, cotton, open weave fabric that I now cannot remember the name of! I think it started with an "a"?? It was off white and you could buy yardage. It frayed nicely, did not add a lot of weight.

Can anyone remember what it was called?

NZquilter 09-19-2018 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson (Post 8129538)
Years ago when rag quilts first were popular, the instructions were to use a soft, cotton, open weave fabric that I now cannot remember the name of! I think it started with an "a"?? It was off white and you could buy yardage. It frayed nicely, did not add a lot of weight.

Can anyone remember what it was called?

Are you thinking of homespun fabric?