Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting in rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-rag-quilt-t224160.html)

woodju3 06-20-2013 03:53 PM

Batting in rag quilt

I have sewn many costumes, dress etc in the past 30 years but never a quilt. I thought I'd start with a rag quilt since I'm about to have a new grandbaby and it looks pretty easy. Well, now I'm confused about the batting between the two layers of flannel. When I sew the squares together (after I sew the X on the flannel/batting/flannel square) do I sew thru the batting in the seam or not?? My instructions are very unclear and I've tried to find information on the internet and have been unsuccessful. Thank you!!!

Cyn 06-20-2013 03:56 PM

I cut my batting an inch smaller, sandwich, sew an X on them and then sew squares together with half inch seams.

kitsykeel 06-20-2013 06:11 PM

I use flannel as my batting, cut all pieces the same size, and stitch together. The X can be done at the end. You will love it, they are so soft and cuddly.

auntpiggylpn 06-20-2013 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by kitsykeel (Post 6134233)
I use flannel as my batting, cut all pieces the same size, and stitch together. The X can be done at the end. You will love it, they are so soft and cuddly.

This is what I do also with one exception: if you are using flannel as your "batting" and cut it the same size as your top and bottom piece, you don't have to sew the "X". The "X" holds the batting pieces in place so if you aren't using batting, no need for the "X"

frustratedquilter40 06-20-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn (Post 6134030)
I cut my batting an inch smaller, sandwich, sew an X on them and then sew squares together with half inch seams.

This is how I made mine also have made 3 so far :)

CGail 06-21-2013 04:46 AM

I do not use batting. The two flannel squares make a good weight baby blanket.

ManiacQuilter2 06-21-2013 05:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with Cyn. You don't want Any batting wjen stitiching the squares together. It is really tough cutting thru the four layers of flannel to get the fringe look. I just finsih this one for charity. My friend is going to cut the edges of the flannel. Lucky me !!!

woodju3 06-21-2013 05:29 AM

So when you sew the squares together do you sew the batting in the seam?

woodju3 06-21-2013 05:36 AM

Ok, thank you all for the wonderful advice! I will not sew the batting in the seams and when I'm finished with this quilt, I will post a picture. I was about to put it in the Maybe I'll finish it later pile and start on something else when I discovered this quilting board. What a wonderful place. My grandbaby is not due till November so I have time to get this right:)

hisgrace1 06-21-2013 06:29 AM

I have made several rag quilts with batting and with flannel as the batting.....I Really like using the flannel as the batting.....the raggy part is thicker and looks better