Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting by the Roll Width (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-roll-width-t313860.html)

Watson 01-15-2021 12:51 PM

Batting by the Roll Width

Is 96" width a good size for batting by the roll?

I've finally run out of the batting I bought at Joann's way back when we could still go over the border and didn't measure it before I used the last bit awhile ago.

There is a good price on a 96" roll here in Canada with free shipping but I want to be sure it's what I need.

Thanks!
Watson

grannie cheechee 01-15-2021 01:03 PM

Watson, I think the next size up would probably be 120" which would be a king. If you can look on a pkg queen size that would help you know if 90" would be what you would get more use.

SherylM 01-15-2021 01:09 PM

Last year I bought a roll of queen size Quilter's Dream Request batting that was 93" by I-forget-how-many yards long. So yes...I would say it's a good size.

Quiltah Mama 01-15-2021 02:33 PM

I buy pellon 90" wide, and am very happy with the size, works for me.

BonnieJP 01-15-2021 02:58 PM

I think it would be dependent on the size quilts you typically make.

dunster 01-15-2021 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP (Post 8452763)
I think it would be dependent on the size quilts you typically make.

I agree. I buy mostly rolls of batting made by The Warm Company (Warm & Natural, Warm & White, Soft & Bright, Warm & Plush). 90" is the widest width that's usually available in bulk. I make big quilts and often have to piece the batting together.

quiltedsunshine 01-15-2021 04:18 PM

Hobbs 80/20 white comes in a 108" wide.

I usually buy 96" wide by the roll. My favorite is Winline 80/20 Comfort Blend.

thimblebug6000 01-15-2021 06:02 PM

I bought the 96" Hobbs from Dinkydoo here in BC last year. I haven't had to piece any backing yet and I usually do full size quilts. I had the choice of the wider but it was more expensive and this was the first time I purchased a roll....I am happy with it.

sewingpup 01-15-2021 08:07 PM

yes..it really depends on what sized quilts you like to make.....but 96 is a good basic size....you want to have extra for for the sides so you can make about a 90 inch wide by whatever length quilt you want. I have made some quilts that are wider than my 96 inch batting...but I actually bought a roll of 120 wide batting and found that I did not like having to trim it down when I did smaller quilts....so what I find is a good idea...is to have both sizes....tee hee....anyway, I am lucky in that I have a second floor that I use mainly for storage of fabric and batting....I have two old dining room chairs with slat backs and have then turned back to back and have my batting roll hanging on an old shower rod. It looks like a giant roll of toilet paper.... It is easy to switch out the batting rolls. I use a long piece of wood trim to mark a chalk line on the batting roll after I measure how much I want to cut off the roll. Works good. just have to be careful to not stretch the batting when measuring it. I have been dreaming of getting a roll of wool batting....but I do have a roll of hobbs polydown and a roll of hobbs 80/20 and not that many tops to do for a bit so will wait on that for a bit.

quiltingshorttimer 01-15-2021 08:10 PM

depends on the size quilts you make but if most would work with that size I say go for it--you can always purchase a Q or K if needed on a quilt. I have a roll of 120 Hobbs 80/20; 90" Hobbs 80/20 and 108" white Hobbs 80/20--I just hate to have the left overs of using a 120" when I really only need a 90".