Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batting, thick or thin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-thick-thin-t166669.html)

Mariposa 11-16-2011 06:22 PM

I usually use warm & natural, or a low loft poly/cotton mix. Would like to try wool sometime. Poofy poly batts are better for tied tops-IMHO.

sewbeadit 11-16-2011 07:33 PM

Deedum, you can use two bats at the same time for more fluffy loft. They do make thicker battings.

Rose L 11-16-2011 08:02 PM

I mostly use a 100% cotton batting. I do prefer a Bamboo/cotton mixed batting. When the Bamboo bats first came out they were quite a bit less expensive than cotton or poly batts. Now they are significantly more expensive. I'm going to give wool a try when I use up what battings I currently have.

Borntohandquilt 11-17-2011 12:12 AM

As a hand quilter and because I love the traditional look of my quilt I like to use low loft battings like cotton or cotton blend. For my next quilt I will try a wool batting.
Many quilter here prefer a very puffy look of their quilts and they use poly battings. I must confess I don't like that very much although poly is easy to quilt through and easy to clean.

margecam52 11-18-2011 07:45 AM

Wool is the warmest & the coolest! It is very light feeling, but it quilts beautifully and is my warmest quilt...a quilt we use all year round....cooler in summer and warm in winter. When I washed this quilt the first time...it really puffed more than I expected it to...very nice looking. I have only made one quilt with it for myself...expensive...but have it available for customers.

nativetexan 11-18-2011 08:07 AM

i like the thin cotton batting. I had some poly left over and made a wall hanging with some swap star blocks I'd had around forever and ended up giving the quilt to charity. i couldn't get used to the puffiness!!

suezquilts 11-19-2011 07:37 AM

I Longarm, I prefer cotton or washable wool.
One thing you need to remember when these quilts are washed the batting takes on a bit more fluffiness. I usually dry my quilts on the line, then fluff them up in the dryer with no heat or low heat if they are damp yet and I'm in a hurry.
My bed quilt is wool and a layer of cotton, we live in WI so it is cold and we enjoy the weight of this quilt as well as the warmth. You have to remember that a natural fiber will breath, the poly is very warm.
I love the look of not prewashing fabric and then the cotton batting, the quilts really look inviting when washed.
Enjoy

IAmCatOwned 11-19-2011 03:15 PM

I don't like thin batts, so go out of my way to avoid them. They feel like 2 sheets stitched together and aren't very warm. I want both beauty and warmth. So, I stick with Warm and Natural or hi loft Quilter's Dream. I do like Hobbs, but Joann's doesn't seem to carry it any more. I loved Joann's Soft and Crafty when it first came out. The loft no longer meets the specs on the front of the package, so I won't buy any of S&C now.

Grace creates 11-20-2011 02:49 PM

Hi, I just purchased some batting today at Joanne's and was not happy about the price or the selection. Fortunately, I had a 60 percent off coupon that I printed off the internet from their site. I wanted white, as the quilt has a pieced backing that is mostly white, and their is a lot of white in the front as well. I prefer cotton or bamboo. They do not carry bamboo, I would of settled on a poly cotton blend but they did not have that in white. I settled on white that is not as thick as I would of liked it and it was 10.99 per yard and I needed 3 yards. Pretty expensive, and thank goodness I had a coupon. Why is batting getting so pricey?

Keptwench 11-22-2011 10:42 AM

Warm & Natural or Warm & White are my two absolute faves in the batting world. Poly battings tend to beard (work its way through the fabric) of the quilt top over time IMO and I don't like that.. especially since I tend to work with darker fabrics and it shows up really well, ugh. Haven't tried wool but would like to one of these days.