Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batting, thick or thin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-thick-thin-t166669.html)

CorgiNole 11-22-2011 10:47 AM

I prefer a thin batting - less to wrestle with in the machine. I didn't notice extraordinarily thin battings at the last show I attended. Am curious to see if it is the case at the next show I go to.

Cheers, K

dmyers 11-23-2011 04:57 AM

I enjoy using Hobbs 80/20 for my all cotton quilts, but I use poly for my quilts that have minkee backing or fleece. I guess it depends on the type of quilt.

teddysmom 11-23-2011 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by linda faye (Post 4652032)
I love to hand quilt and will be using thin batting on my next quilt. The last quilt show I attended were as you described: machine quilted, thin batting and beautiful. I feel that the machine quilting and the hand quilted should be in different categories.

I also hand quilt and I like Hobbs 80/20. It seems to work well with hand quilting.

quilttiludrop 11-26-2011 12:14 PM

Batting is all a matter of personal preference. It's not just about how lofty it is. The more natural fibers "breathe" and will not vary that much in being good for one season or the other. Some quilters use more than one layer of batting in order to achieve both the "natural fiber breathability" and more loft to show off the quilting. [Another way to achieve this effect is to use cotton thread which will shrink with the unwashed fabric in the quilt.]

Polyester high-loft batting will retain its loft, is antimicrobial, and doesn't absorb moisture (does not wick). It doesn't breathe (and therefore is too stuffy for those who are naturally warm). It is also relatively low-cost. Polyester batting is not recommended for small infants.

Bamboo blend batting is the same loft as warm and natural or 80/20 cotton blend batting. The advantage of bamboo blend batting is that it is antimicrobial (bugs will not lay eggs in it).

Wool batting will keep its high loft and still gives you that "natural fiber breathability". It also costs almost twice as much as some other battings.

Just feeling the batting itself doesn't give you enough information. Handling something quilted with the different kinds of batting gives you more of the "tactile" information that you need.

Anna O 11-26-2011 12:55 PM

I love Quilters Dream batting. Their cotton batting comes in various weights, so you can use the one that best fits the quilt.

AnnieF 11-26-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Keptwench (Post 4710029)
Warm & Natural or Warm & White are my two absolute faves in the batting world. Poly battings tend to beard (work its way through the fabric) of the quilt top over time IMO and I don't like that.. especially since I tend to work with darker fabrics and it shows up really well, ugh. Haven't tried wool but would like to one of these days.

Warm & white is my go to batting. I recently bought an all cotton batting made by pellan because it was cheaper and appeared to be the most like W&W...what a disappointment. It started to pill before I even got the machine quilting done. Lesson learned...pay the price on the good stuff!

Bikergma 11-26-2011 01:27 PM

I totally agree. Machine quilting is completely different than hand quilting. I love doing both.

ManiacQuilter2 11-26-2011 01:50 PM

I have always used Hobbs 80/20 that give a little fluff. I think of thick batting being the polyester type that you can only tie the quilt, There does seem to be some cheap batting out there though.....

meg-2 11-30-2011 04:56 PM

Boy, I wish I had read this three days ago. Making my first quilt. Haven't sewn much in years. Have the top made, I'm glad its going to a 5 year old :). Anyhow, I bought 100% cotton batting, because I prewashed all my fabric, I also just this evening presoaked the batting,ugh! My questions, are is it necessary to preshrink the batting when you have preshrunk the other material? Should I not use all cotton thread when I quilt the top?

jitkaau 12-01-2011 04:06 AM

It's easier to quilt on thin batting.