Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beautiful Quilts.........AND Cats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beautiful-quilts-cats-t154595.html)

OKLAHOMA PEACH 09-23-2011 09:14 AM

Cats are put on the back porch with their toys when I sew, they are still young and nosy, dog is allowed to stay, he is not interested.

LindaDeeter 09-23-2011 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by roxie623
Well I have 2 siamese (my boys) who think they are human and own the house. Yes they come into my room which is why I put window seats in for them. It seams though that the seats are not as comfortable as my fabric or my current project. So I joined the "lint roller club". Membership is cheap and everyone (my boys included) is happy. Did you know that the Medical Association has found that people who have cats are less likely to have a heart attack or stroke. The reason is that cats demand your attention and we will stop what we are doing to give it to them. They are a natural stress reliever :)

Roxie, you do know cats well ... they are just awesome little creatures who demand love and attention & give it freely!

fayzer 09-25-2011 09:58 AM

I have nothing to add as I don't have a cat. I DO have to say that one of the most fun things to do on this board is to see, besides all of your beautiful work, is photos of your beautiful cats and dogs. I love cats as long as they belong to someone else. They are so regal and mysterious. The biggest mystery is why they became domesticated animals to begin with since they are so self reliant. I myself am a dog lover. I guess it is my aversion to the litter box. LOL

pinkcastle 09-25-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer
The biggest mystery is why they became domesticated animals to begin with since they are so self reliant.

There's a book out there that explores this in some detail - "The Unadulterated Cat" by Terry Pratchett with illustrations by Gray Jolliffe. If you recognize the authors you'll know that the whole book is comical :-D Really, I recommend it for any cat lover or anyone who wonders why someone would become a cat lover! It was out of print for quite a while but it looks like it has been reprinted recently. I may just have to pick a copy up for our long-suffering and amazingly helpful vet....

romanojg 09-25-2011 12:49 PM

I see this all of the time as well. I have an older cat and two dogs and even though my dogs will sometimes come into my room and lay on the floor my cat never does. A few months after I got her I realized that if I didn't stop her from coming into my bedroom I'd never be able to go to work again without hair on me. My sewing room is right next to each other and when I taught her not to come into my bedroom she just wouldn't go into my sewing room either.

Kas 09-25-2011 01:51 PM

Rinsing the cat once or twice a week with distilled water will remove the allergen. It isn't the hair itself, but the reaction the hair has with the cat saliva when they groom themselves that is the allergen. And the reason it takes so long to remove the cat hair from a home with a vacuum cleaner is they spew the stuff right back out as you vacuum. That is why, even if you have a HEPA filter, you should always dust (what is that?) after using the vacuum cleaner. They cause dust and allergens to become airborne, only to settle over everything later.

maryb119 09-25-2011 01:53 PM

I don't have pets due to alergies.

Pam H 09-25-2011 06:13 PM

I am not a cat lover and am allergic but we have 2 cats anyway. I keep the door to my sewing room closed as well as my bedroom door.

CharlottsQuilts 09-26-2011 04:05 AM

I made a little bed for my cat which sits under my cutting table. She is black with white on her face and white legs. Can you believe I found fabric that is just like that? I also made her a little placemat for her food and water bowl.

peaceandjoy 09-26-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by hudgoddess
If anyone would refuse a quilt because my dog or cat had touched the fabric...... Well, they're never on the quilt list again.
Fabric is just another surface. It's not hallowed ground in my house. My furbabies are way more important!

I agree!!