Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginner quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginner-quilt-t104946.html)

edensgaite 03-05-2011 06:33 AM

I think the log cabin would be a great first quilt. I would encourage you to use larger logs though. Making one with small logs may discourage a first time quilter. Have fun with it. I'd also recommend taking pictures as ya go to record your first quilt. Keep us posted......
Mikki

atvrider 03-05-2011 07:08 AM

I also made a log cabin quilt for my first one. I used Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day. My plan is to make lots more log cabins.

marycontrary 03-05-2011 09:50 AM

Eleanor Burns "Quilt in a Day" log cabin was my first quilt also. I should have known I was in trouble when I kept changing my mind about what fabrics to put next to each other, kept buying new fabric, and probably had enough fabric to make 3 quilts by the time I started. Unknowingly I had started my stash. You should see it now!

Dolphyngyrl 03-05-2011 09:53 AM

Yes, that was my second quilt, very easy to make and chain piece. Hand quilted could mean that they pieced it by machine and quilted the layers by hand. They could have always pieced it by hand as well. It is a personal preference, if you don't want to do it by hand you do not have to. You can FMQ it or do SITD by machine after it is pieced

conniebrooks 03-05-2011 10:01 AM

The log cabin pattern was the first quilt I learned and still like it. It is easy and each one can be so different. Quilt top in a day. and that is true. Made the top in a day at my first class.

dunster 03-05-2011 10:15 AM

I think it depends on the width of the logs in the log cabin. I use 1/2 inch to 1 inch logs (finished), and I don't think that's the best quilt to start on, because there are lots of patches in each block, and the 1/4 inch seam is very important. I would recommend a quilt with simpler blocks for a beginner - something like D9P, rail fence, YBR, warm wishes. Or - make one of the simpler log cabins, with wider logs and fewer pieces in each block.

davidwent 03-05-2011 10:20 AM

My first quilt was a nine patch. I did it all by hand from start to end, mostly because I didn't have a machine and could not wait to start. It IS time consuming, but now that I have a machine it seems to be just a bit less satisfying for me to use it, Does that make any sense at all?? LOL
David

RST 03-05-2011 10:43 AM

I would suggest that you start with a log cabin pillow or table runner -- maybe 4 or nine patches. See how you like the process, and have something you can finish up relatively quickly. Then, if you love it, you are well equipped to go on to making the full quilt.

Log cabins are one of my favorites, and one of the few patterns I've made repeatedly, because they offer so much creative possibility. But they can be frustrating to make, specially for a beginner working on your own.

RST

Ginny Trimmer 03-05-2011 11:04 AM

ABSOLUTELY ENJOY THE PROCESS.

Iluv2quilt 03-05-2011 11:08 AM

Log Cabin was my first pattern to use. They are very simple to make, just keep your 1/4" seam accurate and you'll have some beautiful blocks. Very versatile, good luck!