Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner quilt

Would the Log Cabin quilt be a quilt for a beginner? I've never quilted but they look so pretty. And when someone says they hand quilted does that mean they didn't use a sewing machine at all?

Blog Entries
    Any of the log cabin patterns would be suitable for a beginner and why I haven't made one yet is baffling me. Hand quilting usually refers to the actual quilting of the quilt (done by hand with needle/thread). You can either use a sewing machine to sew all the pieces together or hand sew them (if you have tons of time). Hope I have this right as there are so many variables in this wonderful hobby of ours!

i would consider a traditional log cabin block a beginner block.

typically when some one says i hand quilted - they mean the quilting stitches that hold the 3 layers together (top, batting, back) but they might have done the piecing of the top with the sewing machine.

Blog Entries
    No - hand quilting means that after your top is compleated, that you take the top, the batting (filling) and the backing and sandwich it together. It can be hand quilted or it can be machine quilted. Hand pieced is when you hand sew all of the pieces for the top together by hand. Very time consuming - I imagine.

This was the first quilt I made. Hand-piecing refers to sew the blocks by hand.

My first quilt was a log cabin quilt...I thought it was a good pattern to start with.

Blog Entries
    My second quilt was a log cabin. I found out that I was better off to finish one block at a time rather than strip piece each side. The quilt turned out fine and my sister still uses it.

All of my sewing and quilting is done by machine or I would never finish anything.

check out all the pictures under log cabin in the gallery
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_page.jsp?upnum=2181

One of the first classes I took at my LQS was Intro to Piecing I and we made a rail fence and a Log Cabin. We machine pieced everything but I hand quilted the Log Cabin which is the picture in my Avatar.

The are so easy to make and the go together very quickly. Eleanor Burns has a great book with Log Cabin quilts and there are so many designs that you can make just depending on how many blocks you make to get the different sizes

Eleanor Burns has a great "Quilt in a Day" book on Log Cabins.
    I'd definitely recommend it for anyone!

Eleanor Burns' book Log Cabin in a Day is a must! Blocks use 2.5" strips, and make up 14" (finished) blocks. Highly recommended! :)

My first quilt was a log cabin quilt, it was so much fun, I remember being so proud of it when I finished and couldn't wait to begin another one. I think its a great first quilt pattern to do. Happy Quilting

Blog Entries
    Log cabin will teach you all the basics you need to get a good start.

1/4" seams, rotary cutting,, fabric placement,, & staying organized are all important in this block.

Give it a try,, it' s a fun block to piece, & play with block placement after you finish piecing. You will be amazed at the combinations 1 block can create.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am a handquilter too, most of the time, and to me that means, no machine touches a quilt from start to finish. I think the hours I put into a quilt are special and to gift one of them even more so. But machien quilting is great too. I can make more quilt tops for my charities. Hope you continue to share your progress with us.

A log cabin is often used as a beginner project. Even though I have been quilting for .... 40 years I still like to make them. The basic block has so many options for final design it is a popular quilt for beginners and experienced quilters.
    A few pointers to make your first a success. Do starch the fabric. I can not stress this enough. Since it is a block that continues to build , accuracy is important as the block continues to get bigger as you add pieces. A 1/4 inch foot is one of the most valuable tools you can have for this block. Some log cabins work with strips as small as one inch. For your first , I think you would get bored with such small strips. Work with a larger strip.
    Keep your blocks organized so when you pick up one its always orientated the same way as it goes through the machine.
    I prefer the press each seam after completing a new strip set. It helps keep the project flat as you are working on it, plus its just fun to iron and admire the way the block is starting to look.
    If you want the project to go quickly , make the center square ( the only real square in the whole project ) bigger! use a 3 inch or even 3 1/2 inch center.
    Start with scraps, log cabin really lends itself to using alot of scraps. You also won;t feel so bad if you decide to move onto something else while working on it.

My first quilt was a logcabin ,quilt in a day by elanor burns strip method. very easy and I made a king size in a weekend.

There is such a variation you can make with log cabin blocks, no two are alike. It would be a good first project.

Yes, just be sure to keep everything square as you add your logs, or your finished blocks won't be square.
    Four patch and nine patch blocks are also good beginner blocks,
    probably more so than the log cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa
    Eleanor Burns' book Log Cabin in a Day is a must! Blocks use 2.5" strips, and make up 14" (finished) blocks. Highly recommended! :)
    This way my first class I took. It was abt.25 yrs ago. I didn't bind it, but brought the back to the front. It's on my bed to this day. It started me on the road to many more projects.

Log cabin was my first quilt. I think there are easier ones to do as a beginner, but they aren't as pretty when you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by incoming2me
    Eleanor Burns has a great "Quilt in a Day" book on Log Cabins.
    I'd definitely recommend it for anyone!
    Her books are great for beginners

I think the log cabin would be a great first quilt. I would encourage you to use larger logs though. Making one with small logs may discourage a first time quilter. Have fun with it. I'd also recommend taking pictures as ya go to record your first quilt. Keep us posted......
    Mikki

I also made a log cabin quilt for my first one. I used Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day. My plan is to make lots more log cabins.

Eleanor Burns "Quilt in a Day" log cabin was my first quilt also. I should have known I was in trouble when I kept changing my mind about what fabrics to put next to each other, kept buying new fabric, and probably had enough fabric to make 3 quilts by the time I started. Unknowingly I had started my stash. You should see it now!

Yes, that was my second quilt, very easy to make and chain piece. Hand quilted could mean that they pieced it by machine and quilted the layers by hand. They could have always pieced it by hand as well. It is a personal preference, if you don't want to do it by hand you do not have to. You can FMQ it or do SITD by machine after it is pieced

The log cabin pattern was the first quilt I learned and still like it. It is easy and each one can be so different. Quilt top in a day. and that is true. Made the top in a day at my first class.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast