Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner quilt >

Beginner quilt

Beginner quilt

Old 03-07-2011, 03:13 PM

You know what, it is only fabric and you can always make a block and if you like it, make 4 and see how they look together. Turn them to a point that you like and if you still like them, make some more till you have a quilt. There are no quilt police on this site so just go and have fun. :thumbup: Jan
Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM

I want to make a log cabin some day. They look easy enough.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by rob529
They also do great with paper piecing.
my oldest girl's birth mom does paper piecing. It is truly awesome what she makes. She showed me how she does it, but it was just a few minutes, I know I would not be able to master that. I will be posting my first beginner rail quilt soon.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by judyhh
THANKS SO MUCH FOR SUCH GOOD INFORMATION. I AM JUST A BEGINNER AND IT CAN BE OVERWHELMING WHEN YOU REALIZE ALL THE STEPS THAT GO INTO WHAT WILL BECOME A WORK OF ART. I AM SO AFRAID OF MAKING MISTAKES AND BEING EMBARASSED. I HAVE SEWEN FOR FIFTY PLUS YEARS. THIS IS, HOWEVER, A WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD AND SET OF RULES. YOU SEASONED QUILTERS MAKE IT SOUND AND LOOK SO EASY.
Please realize that sewing is sewing. Quilting is actually easier than garment making because you make small items and if you make a mistake it can be either fixed or replaced without ruining your entire project. Don't be embarrassed, we all make our share of goofs. There are no quilt police and if someone thinks they have a right to be critical, ask them to either show you how it should be done or leave you alone so you can find your own solutions. I have hand quilted a quilt to the leg of my slacks, sewn dozens of blocks with no thread in the bobbin, lost pieces of projects and had to punt, you name it. And it's really okay. No shame. It happens to everyone who does anything new. Quilt on!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 AM

I have a lot of scrap material, do I need to wash it first?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by layhewmonica
I have a lot of scrap material, do I need to wash it first?
If it is fairly new material I would not bother. If it is really old and could shrink I would put it in a lingerie or net bag and wash so it would not get all ravelly. I sew scrap quilts a lot and do not wash.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM

my first quilt after watchign an Eleanor Burns televsion show...that was 1992 and I'm still quilting!