Beginner quilt >

Beginner quilt

Beginner quilt

Old 03-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by karate lady
I mean I am now putting them
together. smile senior moment there....
Dear Karate lady, is this a beggining quilt?

I love rail fences!
Here is a hint - get a picture of one to use as a guide.
To keep the rows from going wonky - or getting mixed up
try this:
Strip sew the fabric and cut it into the blocks.
Try to plan the top to have an even number of blocks across and down.
Square them all with a square ruler cutting only slivers off.
Put four blocks together in a square using the picture as a guide.
Put all the rest of the blocks together in squares of fours and put them in a stack. All the SAME way!
For uneven numbers of rows across or down, make stacks of fours until you have about two thirds done, and add the rest onto the sewn center.
For even numbers of rows sew them ALL into fours, and stack them all.
Now sew the blocks of fours into bigger blocks of fours,
and those into the quilt top.
This method of keeping the orientation of the blocks, saves your head from going wierd trying to make the zig-zag come out right!
Of course by using the picture as a guide you can sew rows too...but it is harder to get perfect corners.
That gives a zig zag, so could be a little confusing. just go on line and put in beginers rail fence quilt and see what comes up. that's how I found minethis is where I found mine

www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/victorianaquilters/patternpage/easybeginnersrail. try that one gives apicture, chart to use and directions. the hints on squaring up in the one you have sound good.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:49 PM

My first quilt was a log cabin also. Really enjoyed it.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 PM

One of the things I did when I started, well after a few and not accurate, was I made a square the size of each round, to make sure that I was making it right. I think I had 3 or 4 rounds. It really kept me correct and also let me fix a spot that wasn't right, before it got worse because the problem just keeps multiplying as you go out. Accuracy is really important. But it is a real easy block. I would suggest doing one first without a lot of rounds. Maybe 3-4 to start. Maybe make some practice ones first without the thought of putting them into a quilt. Make them out of scraps and use them for mug rugs. This is a good way to see that your seams are accurate and that you like doing the pattern. Also if you have a pattern that has the cut size of each log, all the better, because if the next log doesn't fit then something is wrong.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:09 PM

I mean I am now putting them
together. smile senior moment there....
Dear Karate lady, is this a beggining quilt?

I love rail fences!
Here is a hint - get a picture of one to use as a guide.
To keep the rows from going wonky - or getting mixed up
try this:
Strip sew the fabric and cut it into the blocks.
Try to plan the top to have an even number of blocks across and down.
Square them all with a square ruler cutting only slivers off.
Put four blocks together in a square using the picture as a guide.
Put all the rest of the blocks together in squares of fours and put them in a stack. All the SAME way!
For uneven numbers of rows across or down, make stacks of fours until you have about two thirds done, and add the rest onto the sewn center.
For even numbers of rows sew them ALL into fours, and stack them all.
Now sew the blocks of fours into bigger blocks of fours,
and those into the quilt top.
This method of keeping the orientation of the blocks, saves your head from going wierd trying to make the zig-zag come out right!
Of course by using the picture as a guide you can sew rows too...but it is harder to get perfect corners.
That gives a zig zag, so could be a little confusing. just go on line and put in beginers rail fence quilt and see what comes up. that's how I found minethis is where I found mine

www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/victorianaquilters/patternpage/easybeginnersrail. try that one gives apicture, chart to use and directions. the hints on squaring up in the one you have sound good.
I have most of my first two strips of the beginner rail fence done. Did one strip of all three and then cut the 6 1/2 squares. Looks like it is going to come out really pretty. Give this one a try.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:38 PM

Thanks everybody!
My top is done, except for the borders. It really doesn't matter how you put it together....
I just found that instead of strips, making fours for some reason keeps the top squarer. (If there is such a word?)
My current top is screaming shades of orange! It will be the definition of an orange quilt! It started with a tiger lilly print, added a regular bright plain orange, and a red-orange tone on tone print, and a plain yellow orange, so I had 4 strips.
I think 3 strips make a more zaggy rail fence though.
I really like to make rail fences.
I have to confess I have made ONE log cabin years =donkey's years ago! Dunno why they don't interest me much either? Dunno why I made an orange quilt either!
Jeannie
Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 PM

Simple four patches or nine patches are great for beginners. After these are mastered then move on to Log Cabins, pinwheels, DNP's, etc.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM

Thanks everybody!
My top is done, except for the borders. It really doesn't matter how you put it together....
I just found that instead of strips, making fours for some reason keeps the top squarer. (If there is such a word?)
My current top is screaming shades of orange! It will be the definition of an orange quilt! It started with a tiger lilly print, added a regular bright plain orange, and a red-orange tone on tone print, and a plain yellow orange, so I had 4 strips.
I think 3 strips make a more zaggy rail fence though.
I really like to make rail fences.
I have to confess I have made ONE log cabin years =donkey's years ago! Dunno why they don't interest me much either? Dunno why I made an orange quilt either!
Jeannie
I have orange in the one I ammaking now. smile
Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 AM

The secret to learning how to make a log cabin block is to start out with a bigger square for the middle, say 4 inches, then use wider strips, 2 inches in 3 different colors plus the white.

When you cut the strips, measure the two inches on the length of the fabric you use, then cut your strips selvage to selvage. Do not cut into lengths. Attach as picture indicates, going round the square.

Good Luck!

12 inch Log Cabin Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116989[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-116984.jpe  
Old 03-07-2011, 01:06 PM

THANKS SO MUCH FOR SUCH GOOD INFORMATION. I AM JUST A BEGINNER AND IT CAN BE OVERWHELMING WHEN YOU REALIZE ALL THE STEPS THAT GO INTO WHAT WILL BECOME A WORK OF ART. I AM SO AFRAID OF MAKING MISTAKES AND BEING EMBARASSED. I HAVE SEWEN FOR FIFTY PLUS YEARS. THIS IS, HOWEVER, A WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD AND SET OF RULES. YOU SEASONED QUILTERS MAKE IT SOUND AND LOOK SO EASY.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM

They also do great with paper piecing.