View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 05:09 PM
karate lady

Originally Posted by karate lady
Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by karate lady
I mean I am now putting them
together. smile senior moment there....
Dear Karate lady, is this a beggining quilt?

I love rail fences!
Here is a hint - get a picture of one to use as a guide.
To keep the rows from going wonky - or getting mixed up
try this:
Strip sew the fabric and cut it into the blocks.
Try to plan the top to have an even number of blocks across and down.
Square them all with a square ruler cutting only slivers off.
Put four blocks together in a square using the picture as a guide.
Put all the rest of the blocks together in squares of fours and put them in a stack. All the SAME way!
For uneven numbers of rows across or down, make stacks of fours until you have about two thirds done, and add the rest onto the sewn center.
For even numbers of rows sew them ALL into fours, and stack them all.
Now sew the blocks of fours into bigger blocks of fours,
and those into the quilt top.
This method of keeping the orientation of the blocks, saves your head from going wierd trying to make the zig-zag come out right!
Of course by using the picture as a guide you can sew rows too...but it is harder to get perfect corners.
That gives a zig zag, so could be a little confusing. just go on line and put in beginers rail fence quilt and see what comes up. that's how I found minethis is where I found mine

www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com/victorianaquilters/patternpage/easybeginnersrail. try that one gives apicture, chart to use and directions. the hints on squaring up in the one you have sound good.
I have most of my first two strips of the beginner rail fence done. Did one strip of all three and then cut the 6 1/2 squares. Looks like it is going to come out really pretty. Give this one a try.