Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   bernina 440 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-440-a-t172551.html)

ksdot417 12-19-2011 04:38 PM

I have the 440QE with the embroidery module and stitch regulator. I must admit I really don't use the stitch regulator that much or the embroidery module. But I absolutely love the machine itself.

aborning 12-19-2011 04:49 PM

What a wonderful gift your family gave you. I have the Bernina 440 and love it and never plan to part with it. I also like the BSR for free motion quilting and used it until I got my long arm machine. I do not have the embroidery module and never plan to get it. Not an interest of mine. Enjoy your new machine. Take the classes on it. Most Dealers provide Machine Mastery classes. I learned tons a those classes and I also took a machine quilting class to learn more about the BSR and I learned alot from that. Enjoy your new machine.

tsnana2000 12-19-2011 06:05 PM

I love my 440QE. It is sturdier than you may think. When I first got it I was playing with the stitch regulator and something happened and it flew off the shank and the needle broke (I guess I didn't have it latched quite right). I was so afraid I may have broken it, but it has worked fine ever since I bought it. It's a great machine.

dunster 12-19-2011 07:28 PM

I have one, love it. I use quality generic metal bobbins with no problems.

Tartan 12-19-2011 07:46 PM

I have the Bernina 440 and love it! If you have a good shop close by take some lessons on how to use it. If not, the Bernina site has webinars of simple projects to get you familiar with the machine and using some of the features. My LQS has a Bernina class that meets for free to do small projects. The best advice I can give you is, put away your old machine (if you have one) and start using your new best friend!

JulieR 12-19-2011 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by fallisme (Post 4795340)
I guess I'm just a little afraid of it. This is my dream machine. I don't want to brake the thing.

A broken machine, and a machine you don't use because you are afraid of breaking it, are essentially the same thing. If you need some motivation then do it for me! That's my dream machine, too, and I'm jealous as all get out! ;)

alleyoop1 12-20-2011 03:59 AM

I have the Aurora 440 QE with the BSR (stitch regulator) and the embroidery module. It's a great machine. Lately I have been working on bed sized quilts and quilted them with my Aurora 440 QE on my Bernina quilt frame. It's a great machine.

GemState 12-20-2011 05:08 AM

I have had my 440QE for about 5 years now and absolutely love it. Do take the classes that are provided with it. I use it for FMQ all the time, sometimes with the BSR and often without. The more you use the BSR the more comfortable you become with the method and can do it without. Good luck and have fun with it.

CarrieC 12-20-2011 06:18 AM

I adore my 440 QE - I saved up for 3 years to buy it. I agree with all the advice above, buying extra bobbins (not the cheap knock off ones you'll regret it), watching the DVD and taking classes. I love the BSR but I'm also learning FMQ without it - I suppose the concept of how FMQ was helped along with the BSR.

I did not buy the embroidery option.

Wintersewer 12-20-2011 07:22 AM

The 440 is my dream machine.....maybe someday......enjoy!! I just got a Bernina 350 for Christmas and I LOVE it! My next trade up will be to the 440.