Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-other-brand-sewing-machine-thoughts-t168909.html)

luvTooQuilt 12-04-2011 12:04 PM

I have a featherwight, 2 pfaff creative 7570 and a babylock Grace (one of the basic models- definitely not top of the line one) .. I love the 7570- great for piecing and quilting and the babylock, geez dont get me started!! It does not like to quilt- its ok for piecing but not worth the money if you plan on quilting with it..

JOMARIE 12-04-2011 12:24 PM

If your in a small town buy it from a dealer nearby so she can get information and supplies to go with it. I personally prefer the Bernina.

JOMARIE 12-04-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore (Post 4695288)
If you can find a singer 301 I think you will be happy with it. Now it is not fancy but it has a nice stitch to it. You should be able to find one for 50.00 to 75.00. I have a Bernina and love it. I also have a 301 and use it as much as the Bernina. I think it is what you can afford. If you want a Bernina Ask here on the board, to see if anyone has one to sell. Or try ebay. Good luck !!!

Your Bernina dealers have used trade ins for sale

ShabbyTabby 12-04-2011 12:55 PM

I have always had Viking machines, so I cannot give a comparison to Bernina. That being said, I love my Viking Lilly 550. It's about 12 years old, never had any mechanical problems and have moved it around in moving trucks from California, Oregon, Tennessee and Nevada. It's set up now in the dining room and I sew EVERYTHING on it from sheer to denim. I think either a good used Bernina or Viking would be great.

grandmaquilts 12-04-2011 12:57 PM

Do you have a sewing machine dealer in your town? If your daughter lives in the same town
it would be a good idea to buy a machine from the dealer. That way she would get free classes
and help with the machine. If no dealer there then the Bernina would be your best choice.

LeeWaltenberry 12-05-2011 08:47 AM

I have a Bernina 730 which is quite expensive; but I also have 3 Janome machines and just love them. A great variety to choose from and they are work horses. You need to try out several machines to see what feels the best.

nangars 12-06-2011 10:12 PM

I have 3 Baby lock machines, have had Singers, White, brothers and Elna, and I can say of all of them I love all of my Baby Locks, I have a Baby Lock Decorators choice, that I take to class every week, love that, my two home machines, One is the Baby Lock Quilter's quest, love that one for most of my general sewing at home to big to take to class, then there is my high end Baby Lock Ellisimo, that I do most of my embroidery on. I think you should try out different brands to see what you like the feel of, they are like cars, everyone has their own option of what is best.
If you do a LOT of sewing, get a machine that will hold up to that.

Holice 12-06-2011 10:58 PM

if possible get one where you can get service. I know the big box stores and internet have some good deals and prices but having convenient service is essential

katydidkg 12-07-2011 04:42 AM

I've never met a Bernina that I didn't like ! I have a 150 QE now discontinued, it is a great machine.