Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina or other brand sewing machine thoughts.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-other-brand-sewing-machine-thoughts-t168909.html)

pflum1 11-27-2011 09:34 AM

I have a Bernina, Pfaff, Brother, several other machines and several Singer feather weights. Each machine I use for different things. What I like most about the Pfaff is the built in walking foot. I like the Feather weights for piecing quilts as it's a small machine. The Bernina sews really good, but all the feet are very expensive and on piecing I find the need for the walking foot. If I was your daughter, I would like a picture of a sewing machine with some money, then I would go to the store and see which one works best for me.

maryb119 11-27-2011 10:41 AM

I love my Pfaff with IDT, (duel feed). I have looked at other brands but Pfaff is the one for me.

callen 11-27-2011 12:44 PM

I personally own both a Juki (which is a work horse) but only sews forwards & reverse. It has no bells & whistles but work it does. It will sew 10 layers of denim without a problem. I bought it because the throat area was bigger than most other domestic machines here. I now own a Series 8 Bernina 820 machine that is incredible. It has all the bells & whistles. The biggest draw back here in Canada is the price. They run about $7500 - $8000. I don't know what the price is in the States but I am sure it is cheaper than that, but still pricey compared to many other machines. It is certainly a quality machine & the throat area is even larger than my Juki. I hear good things about Janome as well so you have quite a decision to make.

dgjlt 11-27-2011 01:40 PM

You could also check out craigslist in their arts and craft section.I live in New York but there have been wonderful machines on there for a great price.Your daughter is very lucky.

cjunger 11-27-2011 02:02 PM

If you intend to do any machine applique, Bernina has a feature that I can't do without. Its a leg lift that lifts the presser foot so you can have both hands on your applique piece and turn it without taking your hand off the project. Also they are wonderful machines. I have 4 different kinds of Bernina. Two just do a basic straight stitch and a zigzag. They do a great piecing stitch and also a zigzag. It depends on how many extras you want as to the price you will pay. The very basic machine I paid $125. They have a bunch on e-bay--all prices.

Wintersewer 11-27-2011 04:53 PM

My Babylock and both of my Janome's have the knee bar to lift the presser foot. I have never used them when sewing...only to change the presser foot. Just goes the show that what is important to one person is not important to another.....different strokes.....

The cheapest real Bernina (The Burnette line is not made by Bernina and is not of the same quality.) is the 215 and is on sale with a coupon for $700.

Originally Posted by cjunger (Post 4726311)
If you intend to do any machine applique, Bernina has a feature that I can't do without. Its a leg lift that lifts the presser foot so you can have both hands on your applique piece and turn it without taking your hand off the project. Also they are wonderful machines. I have 4 different kinds of Bernina. Two just do a basic straight stitch and a zigzag. They do a great piecing stitch and also a zigzag. It depends on how many extras you want as to the price you will pay. The very basic machine I paid $125. They have a bunch on e-bay--all prices.

Wintersewer 11-27-2011 04:55 PM

The Bernina 820 is my dream machine....big harp space and built in walking foot......lucky, lucky you!!!

Originally Posted by callen (Post 4726050)
I personally own both a Juki (which is a work horse) but only sews forwards & reverse. It has no bells & whistles but work it does. It will sew 10 layers of denim without a problem. I bought it because the throat area was bigger than most other domestic machines here. I now own a Series 8 Bernina 820 machine that is incredible. It has all the bells & whistles. The biggest draw back here in Canada is the price. They run about $7500 - $8000. I don't know what the price is in the States but I am sure it is cheaper than that, but still pricey compared to many other machines. It is certainly a quality machine & the throat area is even larger than my Juki. I hear good things about Janome as well so you have quite a decision to make.

elliej 12-01-2011 06:03 PM

I have two Berninas and a 1950 Singer Featherweight. My older 180 is what I use for piecing and garment making and repairs. I bought the 440 for the Stitch Regulator and Emboridery. I'm not having much luck with either one .
I'm to far away from dealer or anyone I can get training from. My Singer has been with me 55 years and goes most time that I take a machine and I can hem demin Jean on it with no problem, more than I can say for the others. Yes repairs and maintenance on the Bernina is costly.

romanojg 12-04-2011 11:53 AM

I have a Kenmore/Janome and love it. But I recently got a Viking Ruby and really love it. The Ruby is more than what you want but Viking has alot of simple machines and they are great machines.

Grace creates 12-04-2011 12:04 PM

I have a Bernina Activa 145 and it is about 7 years old a great machine. Never caused me any problems and sews perfect I saw one on the board for sale about a week ago and if her machine was well maintained it most likely has a lot of perfect sewing for many years to come.