Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-vs-janome-new-twist-t34291.html)

fireworkslover 01-21-2010 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Maribeth

Originally Posted by fireworkslover

One thing to consider is that Bernina have special feet. If you want to purchase an open toe foot (for example), at your fabric shop, it won't fit on the Bernina unless you have a special attachment to attach to the foot itself. I sew on a Bernina at my job and know this to be true.

I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. What special attachment are you talking about?

Most feet attach to the machine at the pressure bar with a screw. Bernina have the foot and the bar all in one piece. So if you buy just a foot, you can't attach it to the bar by the screw, since there isn't a screw. You can purchase a special attachment that hooks onto the machine and also your foot, but it's pricey.

Huh?? Again, I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. The foot slips right on the shank and locks with a turn of a lever, much the same as the turn of a screw. There is no special attachment that is required. I don't know what model you were using but, really, the Bernina does not need a special attachment to use Bernina feet.

The answer to the question is right there at the end of your last sentence. You must use a Bernina foot. The foot is the foot, but also is the leg going up to where it attaches to the pressure bar with a lever that locks onto the upper leg part of the foot. LOL, Is that enough feet and legs for you? I'll have to look tomorrow to see what model my machine is at work. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Well, yeah, I was assuming you were using Bernina feet on a Bernina the same as you would use Janome feet on a Janome and Pfaff feet on a Pfaff machine, etc. you get the idea. Heck, even my older $89 White sewing machine (a little work horse in its own right) had a White walking foot. Obviously, if you are adapting a foot not made for that machine to that machine you would need an 'adapter', (I think that is how it got it's name :-D.) Anyway, glad to clear up that when you are not using feet branded specifically to that brand of sewing machine, you can easily adapt the foot. Take Care, Maribeth

OK, a few last comments and then we'll put this to rest. The machine I use at work is a 930 Electronic, about 25 -30 yrs. old. Yes, I was referring to the Bernina feet. They must be Bernina not a generic brand, like you can buy at the fabric shop. My Nelco machine at home has the quick change feet that pop off with the flip of a lever on the back of the pressure foot. I bought many different feet that can fit my Nelco machine. These feet will not work on my Bernina at work. Also, I have a walking foot which I can put on my Nelco with the screw on the pressure bar. I can't put it on the Bernina unless I use that special attachment leg. OK, all done. Smiles.

Baloonatic 01-21-2010 08:25 AM

The RED one of course!

BKinCO 01-21-2010 08:31 AM

Tomorrow is the day :) I'm buying a machine!!! I can't wait!!!

hokieappmom 01-21-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shorebird

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Thanks everyone for your input so far. In actuality, I am not looking for an embroidery machine. First and foremost I am looking for a machine for quilting, and I'm not sure how much I would use the embroidery features. The Bernina has lots of embroidery features on it, which is a bonus if that's what I decide I like doing, but that's an unknown for me now....

Ugh...decisions decisions...it's kind of like trying to choose between the red or black car :)

My 5 cents' worth - if both machines have the features that you want and need - remember that SERVICE AFTER THE SALE is worth a TON! I too was ready to buy a Bernina, had cash in hand for their top of the line model in 12-06, and the dealer kept walking away from me to chat with others.........their store is twice as far as the viking dealer....Bernina's classes (only one for owners, no repeats) did not compare with vikings (3-4 owners classes with repeats as often as you like with space available...I had tried to speak with Bernina dealer on the phone before my visit, and got nowhere.........unlike viking who answered all of my questions, gave me a full demo on their machine, and is still available for questions I have - both when I call....and if call cannot resolve, their answer is bring it in and we'll take a look....While Bernina makes a GREAT MACHINE, what good is that if you do not understand how to make it do what you want, and you cannot get the service or a response from the dealer? It seems (my experience and that of many of my friends across the country) that the Bernina dealers are less service oriented than any of the other major dealers.......

BOTTOM LINE - you decide which machine has the most of what you want, and how important the service after the sale is to you.........and based upon those 2 answers, buy the one indicated........both are great machines. Let us know what you decided to do.

It's dissappointing to hear that so many of you can't get good customer service at your Bernina dealer. They aren't all like that. MIne is absolutely wonderful. If you buy your machine there, you can take as many classes as you want as many times as you want for free. If you didn't get your machine there, they still welcome you for a small fee. I have been to two 3-day training classes for my new 830, and the dealer had the classes in her own home so we wouldn't be distracted with customers, etc at the store. She even let one of the girls who lives over an hour away spend the night at her house for the classes. They go overboard to satisfy customers, and the economy hasn't hurt her business one bit. As for the top of the line Bernina giving trouble, the bobbin is much larger than other home sewing machines, and therefore the hook system is very different. It does taking some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's great.

cindyg 01-21-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
Like several others, I own several Janomes. I purchased my 6600 just a few years ago and LOVE it. Better than that, I love the dealer and service availability. I still feel that service is almost more important than machine brand since even the most expensive machine in the world sometimes breaks down. I have no experience with Bernina other than the local dealerships (also not user friendly). I was looking at upgrading to the Janome 11000SE, but found it wasn't as user-friendly as the 6600, and didn't have the accufeed system for quilting (which I use for piecing as well). Since I heard rumors about the new machine coming out in April, I'm going to wait to see. I want to be able to do some embroidery, like lettering - but not little duckies, or bears, or any of the frou-frou stuff. I don't need all the bells and whistles the 11000 has, and its stippling feature is not quite as easy as the ads make it look. My advice would be to wait and see. And factor in service, since that can make or break your sewing experience.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have the Janome 6600. I was thinking of getting the 11000 but my dealer suggested that I keep my 6600 and buy and Janome 350E which is an embroidery machine ONLY. That was I can sew and embrider at the same time.

BKinCO 01-21-2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by cindyg

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
Like several others, I own several Janomes. I purchased my 6600 just a few years ago and LOVE it. Better than that, I love the dealer and service availability. I still feel that service is almost more important than machine brand since even the most expensive machine in the world sometimes breaks down. I have no experience with Bernina other than the local dealerships (also not user friendly). I was looking at upgrading to the Janome 11000SE, but found it wasn't as user-friendly as the 6600, and didn't have the accufeed system for quilting (which I use for piecing as well). Since I heard rumors about the new machine coming out in April, I'm going to wait to see. I want to be able to do some embroidery, like lettering - but not little duckies, or bears, or any of the frou-frou stuff. I don't need all the bells and whistles the 11000 has, and its stippling feature is not quite as easy as the ads make it look. My advice would be to wait and see. And factor in service, since that can make or break your sewing experience.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have the Janome 6600. I was thinking of getting the 11000 but my dealer suggested that I keep my 6600 and buy and Janome 350E which is an embroidery machine ONLY. That was I can sew and embrider at the same time.

This is the same suggestion that the lady I talked to at the shop gave me........another consideration :)

Sparky 01-22-2010 12:04 PM

About 3 years ago I bought a Berninia with a stitch regulator and an embroidery module which I haven't used. The day after buying it I wanted to return it, but the dealer wouldn't let me. I think my investment was close to $3,000 which was huge for me. Slowly I have adjusted into accepting it. Part of it was change, the other was expectation. I missed features I had on my Viking such as no bobbin case, bobbin filling without re-threading. I was disappointed in the inadequate space for quilting, the performance of the stitch regulator, and hated the awkward bobbin system. I have learned to live with it.
I did not do my homework! I got sold by a slick salesman, and by watching TV shows featuring this brand. Basically I was stupid.
Keep getting information about the machine, use real fabrics when you test it not those starched samples. Look at the costs of supplies, accessories, servicing.

Glenda C. 01-22-2010 04:44 PM

And the discussion goes on. I have had several machines, Bernina, Brother,3 Singers`, Kenmore and Necci. Each machines was different, but they all sewed and did what they were suppose to do. I now have my 1240 Bernina, a Singer QXL100 and my Brother Embroidery machine. Each machine sews different however I use my Bernina almost all the time for regular sewing, the Singer makes beautiful buttonholes and the Embroidery machine is used every week, in fact all of them are.The Bernina is in the repair shop in Houston and I can't wait until I get it back. The Bernina dealer here said it was worn out and not worth fixing. This person in Houston who for 17 1/2 years of Bernina work said it was not.
The main problem I have the dealership here is not being able to get adequate help from them. The Brother dealer almost meets me at the door very friendly and the Singer dealership was destroyed by hurricane Rita, then came Mr. Ike and they have not re-built, but he meets people at a nursing home in Port Arthur and I take my machine there and he takes it home and brings it back, within 3 days. He and his wife are very nice to deal with.We all have a special connection with our machines and probably treat them like babies. Glenda in Texas

Glenda C. 01-22-2010 04:45 PM

And the discussion goes on. I have had several machines, Bernina, Brother,3 Singers`, Kenmore and Necci. Each machines was different, but they all sewed and did what they were suppose to do. I now have my 1230 Bernina, a Singer QXL100 and my Brother Embroidery machine. Each machine sews different however I use my Bernina almost all the time for regular sewing, the Singer makes beautiful buttonholes and the Embroidery machine is used every week, in fact all of them are.The Bernina is in the repair shop in Houston and I can't wait until I get it back. The Bernina dealer here said it was worn out and not worth fixing. This person in Houston who for 17 1/2 years of Bernina work said it was not.
The main problem I have the dealership here is not being able to get adequate help from them. The Brother dealer almost meets me at the door very friendly and the Singer dealership was destroyed by hurricane Rita, then came Mr. Ike and they have not re-built, but he meets people at a nursing home in Port Arthur and I take my machine there and he takes it home and brings it back, within 3 days. He and his wife are very nice to deal with.We all have a special connection with our machines and probably treat them like babies. Glenda in Texas

BKinCO 01-22-2010 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is :thumbup: My new addition!

(I'd change the thread title, but I don't know how!!!)