Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-vs-janome-new-twist-t34291.html)

ginnymae 01-19-2010 07:15 PM

I have a Janome bought about 2 years ago. Most features I really love. However, the manual is terrible. Doesn't have nearly enough information and guidance about stitches and functions. The instructor that taught me mentioned it immediately and I have found it to be true. I also have a terrible time winding the bobbin. I wish that I had looked into Bernina.

Margie 01-19-2010 07:37 PM

I have many machines and I like them...but I have two Berninas and I just love Berninas. They are so well built and I love the way they sew.

Margie

cindyg 01-19-2010 08:35 PM

I love my Janome 6600P and haven't had a single glitch with it. No matter what machine you get, the service department is what really matters, not even the sales people. Go talk to the service people at the store to find out about the machine you are interested in - they aren't after a commission.

sewin'sam 01-19-2010 09:15 PM

I have to agree with Connie -At home sewing. Do NOT buy a machine based on the people! Buy it on the features of the machine & what you want to achieve with it. I have 4 Brother machines right now, 2 of them embroidery but I have heard so many good thing about Bernina, that sometimes I wish I had gone with it! It has a lot of very nice features that I think I would have used, the stitch regulator, the ability to move the needle , etc, etc. After all, you are buying the machine NOT the people! Sometimes salespeople change as they get to know you & realize that you are serious. I bought a machine from a store that I heard many complaints about but, one of the salesladies has become a very good friend! Even the owner has become more friendly! He even works on my machine when I bring it in & fixes it if he can right then! So, please, don't let them influence you. Good luck! :-P

suzeq 01-20-2010 05:06 AM

P S: Do not let the price of a Bernina get to you. You DO NOT (emphasis only) have to buy the top of the line with all its bells and whistles. Buy the one that does what you want to do. My Artista 185 even works well for machine quilting. JMO. Silvia :-D

joellenc 01-20-2010 07:39 AM

I have a Bernina 730 and absolutely love it. There are a ton of other sites, stores, etc that you could learn from---the Bernina USA website is pretty good too!

Maribeth 01-20-2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover

Originally Posted by Maribeth

Originally Posted by Maribeth

One thing to consider is that Bernina have special feet. If you want to purchase an open toe foot (for example), at your fabric shop, it won't fit on the Bernina unless you have a special attachment to attach to the foot itself. I sew on a Bernina at my job and know this to be true.

I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. What special attachment are you talking about?

Most feet attach to the machine at the pressure bar with a screw. Bernina have the foot and the bar all in one piece. So if you buy just a foot, you can't attach it to the bar by the screw, since there isn't a screw. You can purchase a special attachment that hooks onto the machine and also your foot, but it's pricey.

Huh?? Again, I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. The foot slips right on the shank and locks with a turn of a lever, much the same as the turn of a screw. There is no special attachment that is required. I don't know what model you were using but, really, the Bernina does not need a special attachment to use Bernina feet.

The answer to the question is right there at the end of your last sentence. You must use a Bernina foot. The foot is the foot, but also is the leg going up to where it attaches to the pressure bar with a lever that locks onto the upper leg part of the foot. LOL, Is that enough feet and legs for you? I'll have to look tomorrow to see what model my machine is at work. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Well, yeah, I was assuming you were using Bernina feet on a Bernina the same as you would use Janome feet on a Janome and Pfaff feet on a Pfaff machine, etc. you get the idea. Heck, even my older $89 White sewing machine (a little work horse in its own right) had a White walking foot. Obviously, if you are adapting a foot not made for that machine to that machine you would need an 'adapter', (I think that is how it got it's name :-D.) Anyway, glad to clear up that when you are not using feet branded specifically to that brand of sewing machine, you can easily adapt the foot. Take Care, Maribeth

Glenda C. 01-20-2010 04:26 PM

Now a reply, just want some suggestions not on machines. I have alll the information and was planning on doing a "family" quilt for my brother and sister-in-law. However her favorites colors are shades of purples to pinks. I am thinking about doing this is different size hearts. Starting with a large heart in the center with their names and birthdates on it, the embroidery a smaller heard in the center of the large white one with their wedding date on it. From different areas of the large heart I would like to use some ribbon to leave their large heart to each one of their 6 children. I am thinking of using purple hearts for the boys and pink for the girls. Now should all of these hearts be applicated on before I embroidery, Please make some suggestions, do you all think I could use that little purple and white checked for the top layer and made a solie white or purple for the backing.

Shorebird 01-20-2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Thanks everyone for your input so far. In actuality, I am not looking for an embroidery machine. First and foremost I am looking for a machine for quilting, and I'm not sure how much I would use the embroidery features. The Bernina has lots of embroidery features on it, which is a bonus if that's what I decide I like doing, but that's an unknown for me now....

Ugh...decisions decisions...it's kind of like trying to choose between the red or black car :)

My 5 cents' worth - if both machines have the features that you want and need - remember that SERVICE AFTER THE SALE is worth a TON! I too was ready to buy a Bernina, had cash in hand for their top of the line model in 12-06, and the dealer kept walking away from me to chat with others.........their store is twice as far as the viking dealer....Bernina's classes (only one for owners, no repeats) did not compare with vikings (3-4 owners classes with repeats as often as you like with space available...I had tried to speak with Bernina dealer on the phone before my visit, and got nowhere.........unlike viking who answered all of my questions, gave me a full demo on their machine, and is still available for questions I have - both when I call....and if call cannot resolve, their answer is bring it in and we'll take a look....While Bernina makes a GREAT MACHINE, what good is that if you do not understand how to make it do what you want, and you cannot get the service or a response from the dealer? It seems (my experience and that of many of my friends across the country) that the Bernina dealers are less service oriented than any of the other major dealers.......

BOTTOM LINE - you decide which machine has the most of what you want, and how important the service after the sale is to you.........and based upon those 2 answers, buy the one indicated........both are great machines. Let us know what you decided to do.

raksmum 01-20-2010 10:12 PM

I don't have a Janome but have a Husq. mega quilter, a babeylock, a pfaff, an elna and a bernina. If I had to get rid of one of them.....it would be the Bernina. This is the newest machine for me and am not crazy about it.