Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best batting for a quilted handbag? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-batting-quilted-handbag-t232327.html)

jeanharville 10-12-2013 05:18 PM

Best batting for a quilted handbag?

I haven't made a quilted handbag before and would like to know what batting you've had the best luck with. I want it to be durable and lightweight. Would fusible fleece work better than batting? I'm thinking about a bag like the bow tuck or something similar to Vera Bradley styles. Any other suggestions you'd like to share, including patterns with inside and outside pockets, will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
jean

charlotte37830 10-12-2013 06:20 PM

I use fusible fleece in my quilted purses. I make the Bow Tuck and also have made some bags that people have told me they looked like Vera Bradley. I even make my daughter a bookbag I used fusible fleece in all of them. Most of my patterns that I have used are ones that I have found online for free. I have found that most of them are the easiest to follow. Most have very detailed instructions. There is another one that I use a lot but I can't remember the name of the lady I got it from. She is on this board, I will try to find it and let you know. I bought it, but it was so worth every penny.

ktbb 10-12-2013 06:45 PM

there is also a new batting made specifically for purses - it provides extra body. Can't remember the name of it but have previously purchased it at my local quilt store. don't know if Joanns sells it or not. I've used warm and natural in my Professional Tote and feel it's not enough body to carry books, etc.

franc36 10-12-2013 06:57 PM

I use Soft and Stable in my tote bags. It is easy to quilt and gives the bags excellent body. It also washes well. I buy it from my LQS.

DOTTYMO 10-12-2013 10:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I use any in mine. I have tried most and it depends on the style of the bag . One of my bow tucks required to be stiff body so used stiffening in and light weight batting.
The bag in the avatar is made in stripes with all sorts of batting in the rolled stripes. My dogs all 3 love it. I find it too heavy as a bag. Guess who wins .

Knitette 10-13-2013 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I much prefer Pellon 987F fusible fleece for bags - so much so that I had a whole bolt shipped from the US as my LQS doesn't stock it and I got fed up always paying shipping every time I needed some! I find it thinner and stiffer than some of the other fleeces, so the bag 'stands up' nicely.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]440960[/ATTACH]

However, I know that some people don't use fusible at all - they spray or glue baste - and rely on denser quilting to prevent floppiness.

jeanharville 10-14-2013 06:00 PM

thanks to all of you for responding and showing your bags. They all look beautiful. I really want that vera bradley look. If i can find the Pellon 987F fusible fleece, I'll give it a try. I have some FF from Hancocks, but I don't know what brand.

Peckish 10-14-2013 07:53 PM

Honestly - I think auto headliner is the best batting for purses or handbags. You can get it at Hancocks or Joanns. It is lightweight, quilts up beautifully, stands on its own and yet is soft to the touch.

LyndaOH 10-14-2013 07:54 PM

I use Pellon 987F for bags that I want to have a little "stiffness" and love working with it. For bags that I want to have a softer feel I use batting. I have a couple of these more squishable tote bags and they are great because I can fold them up and put them in my car's pocket and just pull them out when I need them. They are still very sturdy.

auntpiggylpn 10-14-2013 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6349620)
Honestly - I think auto headliner is the best batting for purses or handbags. You can get it at Hancocks or Joanns. It is lightweight, quilts up beautifully, stands on its own and yet is soft to the touch.

And very economical as it comes in large width!!!!!