Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best iron? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-iron-t264890.html)

Jcarpentier 05-05-2015 05:44 PM

Best iron?

Hello all,

I am relatively new to quilting. I actually just picked it up again after about a 6 year hiatus. My question is what is the best iron to use that is not too expensive? I have an inexpensive Sunbeam iron that doesn't really take the wrinkles out of the fabric. I have heard there are quilters' irons and am wondering where to get one? Thanks!

kathdavis 05-05-2015 06:25 PM

I have two T-Fal irons and I love them. I keep one for my quilting and the family uses the other.

quilterpurpledog 05-05-2015 06:38 PM

I have had two Rowentas in the past and both of them leaked after a rather short period of time. I started to use a GE steam/dry iron that I got at BBB with a 20% off coupon. I have used it five or six years and it is just fine. I doubt that I will ever consider another expensive iron.

Jeanne S 05-05-2015 06:53 PM

I have the Rowenta ProMaster for 2 years now and love it. Tons of steam, a little on the heavy side. Heats up really quickly.

Cass62 05-05-2015 06:55 PM

I was lucky enough to find a Panasonic Cordless on sale for $38 and I absolutely love it!

Jcarpentier 05-06-2015 05:36 AM

Thanks everyone! I will be on the look out for a better iron!

JNCT14 05-06-2015 05:42 AM

Vermont Country Store dry iron. $30.00. Best iron I have ever had. They are out of stock right now but call and ask when they will have them - the iron is worth the wait!

Sewnoma 05-06-2015 05:45 AM

I have used one of the Panasonic cordless irons for about 2 years now and I'll never go back to corded! It's not perfect - it only heats up while sitting on its cradle so it can cool down on you if you don't put it down often enough. But that small drawback is totally worth not dealing with a cord anymore!

It has a detachable water tank, so refilling it is a lot easier. I can leave it heating on the cradle while I fill it up and then click the tank back onto the body and it's good to go! It also has a retractable cord and a heat-proof lid that latches onto the cradle, so it can be taken to classes or even stored in a cabinet without waiting for it to cool down. Very portable, for being a full-size iron!

Definitely my most favorite iron ever. If it ever dies I will buy another one just like it! I should watch the prices and see if I can grab a backup on sale before they stop making them, in fact.

ManiacQuilter2 05-06-2015 05:45 AM

There isn't one model that stand out. I got my Rowenta at a great price at Costco. Heats up quick and the bust of steam when I need it. No dripping or spitting with this one.

mckwilter 05-06-2015 07:10 AM

For a dry iron (one that doesn't steam), look at the Continental iron on Amazon.com. It runs about $30, gets hot and doesn't have an automatic shut off. I have found that a light spritzing of water or a 50/50 solution of water and Best Press are better for me that using steam. Also, if you plan on doing any fusible work, the dry iron is ideal, because you don't have any unfused spots because of steam holes.

I do have one of the new Panasonic cordless irons, which I use alot; however the auto-shut off is a pain.