Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Ironing Board?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-ironing-board-t109668.html)

onemoretry 03-22-2011 06:08 AM

After 20 years, I am going to get myself a new ironing board. The one I currently have is a stardard size ironing board, yet when I iron, you can sometimes hear the metal go pop! ~~ I would like to invest in a good ironing board since now I am hooked-on-quilting! Any suggestions?? Any brands, sizes, pads, etc. I should look for or stay away from. Since boards can be expensive, your input is greatly appeciated! Thanks :)

Wine Woman 03-22-2011 06:12 AM

I know you can search the topic on the board and get some good suggestions and ideas. Many have added the larger surface to their boards-makes ironing the larger projects easier. They have a very nifty person in their lives that have actually built their boards! :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

BellaBoo 03-22-2011 06:53 AM

A good ironing board that is sturdy enough hold a big board will not have the T legs. It will have four separate legs. That is really all you need to look for in quality of an ironing board. Walmart has a nice one for about $50-$60 it's extra wide and has a good size wire shelf underneath it and an iron rest on the end. It's heavy and made from tube steel. It will hold a big board made from plywood. It's the same one sold at Williams Sonoma for $179.

donnajean 03-22-2011 07:00 AM

I think my more than 20 yr. old ironing board is probably better than what they sell now. I use mine with the Big Board on top. I think I had the metal popping sound before adding the Big Board. I agree with avoiding the T legs is buying new.

Sadiemae 03-22-2011 07:53 AM

I have a larger than normal ironing board that I got at Costco. I don't know the brand, but it is very sturdy.

sherriequilts 03-22-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
A good ironing board that is sturdy enough hold a big board will not have the T legs. It will have four separate legs. That is really all you need to look for in quality of an ironing board. Walmart has a nice one for about $50-$60 it's extra wide and has a good size wire shelf underneath it and an iron rest on the end. It's heavy and made from tube steel. It will hold a big board made from plywood. It's the same one sold at Williams Sonoma for $179.

DITTO! AND get the Big Board with the cutting mat! You'll wonder how you ever cut without it or pressed your quilts. Best invention ever for quilters.

Spring 03-22-2011 07:54 AM

WOW you guys mean business....lol
I lost my cheapy dollar store ironing board during our move and have replaced it with a towel on the table.

BellaBoo 03-27-2011 10:36 AM

Table top ironing boards are great for quilters. I took the the legs/stand off one and recovered it with cotton canvas. It lays flat next to my sewing machine and easy to take to classes. I put a small cutting mat on it and no more having to flip flop to cut or press.