Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best Ironing Board??

After 20 years, I am going to get myself a new ironing board. The one I currently have is a stardard size ironing board, yet when I iron, you can sometimes hear the metal go pop! ~~ I would like to invest in a good ironing board since now I am hooked-on-quilting! Any suggestions?? Any brands, sizes, pads, etc. I should look for or stay away from. Since boards can be expensive, your input is greatly appeciated! Thanks :)

Blog Entries
    I know you can search the topic on the board and get some good suggestions and ideas. Many have added the larger surface to their boards-makes ironing the larger projects easier. They have a very nifty person in their lives that have actually built their boards! :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    A good ironing board that is sturdy enough hold a big board will not have the T legs. It will have four separate legs. That is really all you need to look for in quality of an ironing board. Walmart has a nice one for about $50-$60 it's extra wide and has a good size wire shelf underneath it and an iron rest on the end. It's heavy and made from tube steel. It will hold a big board made from plywood. It's the same one sold at Williams Sonoma for $179.

I think my more than 20 yr. old ironing board is probably better than what they sell now. I use mine with the Big Board on top. I think I had the metal popping sound before adding the Big Board. I agree with avoiding the T legs is buying new.

Blog Entries
    I have a larger than normal ironing board that I got at Costco. I don't know the brand, but it is very sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    A good ironing board that is sturdy enough hold a big board will not have the T legs. It will have four separate legs. That is really all you need to look for in quality of an ironing board. Walmart has a nice one for about $50-$60 it's extra wide and has a good size wire shelf underneath it and an iron rest on the end. It's heavy and made from tube steel. It will hold a big board made from plywood. It's the same one sold at Williams Sonoma for $179.
    DITTO! AND get the Big Board with the cutting mat! You'll wonder how you ever cut without it or pressed your quilts. Best invention ever for quilters.

WOW you guys mean business....lol
    I lost my cheapy dollar store ironing board during our move and have replaced it with a towel on the table.

Blog Entries
    Table top ironing boards are great for quilters. I took the the legs/stand off one and recovered it with cotton canvas. It lays flat next to my sewing machine and easy to take to classes. I put a small cutting mat on it and no more having to flip flop to cut or press.