Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Press (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-press-t184922.html)

pokeyscorner 04-05-2012 08:27 AM

I love, love, love BP but the price is high, never find it on sale. I mixed mine w/ water & ended up with black looking beads in bottom of bottle. Learned -- always used distilled water! You can also get it unscented.

klgls 04-05-2012 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5114895)
Has anyone found a perfect mist spray bottle? Everyone I have tried I always get big drops with the mist.

I bought a small one at Joann's in one of the dollar bins - wish I had bought several more - it is awesome - never drips and I get a very fine mist.

onaemtnest 04-05-2012 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5114078)
It is the only "starch" that I use, but I dilute mine with water by 50%. I also buy mine by the gallon as A) it's cheaper and B) I know I'll use the whole gallon eventually.

After reading all the rave reviews on an earlier thread about Best Press and that you can dilute it, I tried it and I join the chorus, I really, really like it. I see no difference in final pressing results with this product once it is diluted 50/50 with water.

katz_n_kwiltz 04-05-2012 10:42 AM

LOVE best press! the flavors are enchanting!! worth the money, sometimes i add a little water to make it go further.
katz

Ruby the Quilter 04-05-2012 01:10 PM

I agree it is wonderful. I have tried many brands but alway come back to this. A little pricey but definitely worth it.

Quilting Becky 04-05-2012 01:25 PM

Thanks for the tip to buy on Amazon. Never thought of that! :)

MaryLane 04-05-2012 01:30 PM

I bought the first I have ever used yesterday. I wish the shop had carried the unscented version because the scent is way too strong.

I am going to be the dissenter here because I honestly cannot tell it makes any difference other than the odor.

I will stick with starch before cutting and my spray bottle of water when pressing seams. JMHO

GrandmaJune 04-05-2012 01:32 PM

I'm a fairly 'new', self taught quilter and would like for someone to tell me about using starch while quilting. When, how and why do you use it?
Thanks!

MaryLane 04-05-2012 01:35 PM

GJ, I use it when I press the fabric before cutting. It makes it stiffer and easier to maintain a straight line when cutting and sewing.

Sometimes I will use it again when I finish a top before I put it on the machine. Just depends on how much the fabric has been handled.

Really helps minimize the chance of sewing in wrinkles.

quiltingshorttimer 04-05-2012 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane (Post 5119142)
GJ, I use it when I press the fabric before cutting. It makes it stiffer and easier to maintain a straight line when cutting and sewing.

Sometimes I will use it again when I finish a top before I put it on the machine. Just depends on how much the fabric has been handled.

Really helps minimize the chance of sewing in wrinkles.

I like Best Press when I'm working with bias. But it does get expensive. Someone in our guild makes her own using a jigger of vodka to a quart of water (+ a drop or lavendar water for scent).