Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best thread for basting a quilt sandwich? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-thread-basting-quilt-sandwich-t248008.html)

DogHouseMom 06-06-2014 01:10 PM

I use Sharon's method as well and there is only one thread I will use.

Water soluble.

I can quilt right over it and when I'm done quilting it washes out.

And yes it holds the quilt together. Even a heavy flannel quilt.

Scissor Queen 06-06-2014 05:00 PM

I used the smallest size of pearl cotton I could get at JoAnn's. I have also used size 20 crochet thread. Both are grippy enough to work with her method. I also bought large doll making needles at JoAnn's and they work really well with the bigger size of thread.

N3wbee 05-11-2021 07:07 AM

Trying to find not mercerized thread

Originally Posted by MsPatty (Post 6747536)
I can tell the difference when I use a rough thread ( not mercerized). It doesn't slide around in the quilt sandwich and will hold the quilt more firmly.

I have been searching for non-mercerized tatting thread. Even DMC...that I have found, shows that it is mercerized. Please share with me what you are using that is not mercerized.

joe'smom 05-11-2021 10:23 AM

I use the DMC tatting thread with the herringbone stitch, and it works beautifully.

N3wbee 05-11-2021 10:44 AM

Size of thread?

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 8483157)
I use the DMC tatting thread with the herringbone stitch, and it works beautifully.

Thank you for responding so quickly! One more question... what size thread should I use for sandwiching? I was thinking about using a 10 or a 20, but is that too large? I do not want to leave holes in the quilt.

juliasb 05-11-2021 10:45 AM

I used to use serger threads to thread baste my quilts but I no longer thread baste. I took the leap to basting with Elmer's washable School glue it has made my quilting experience so much nicer. What I say to people is do what ever fits your quilting style and needs.

CanoePam 05-11-2021 06:51 PM

What about using water soluble thread? I have used it to machine baste quilts to get the pins out of the way for my design. I can’t do hand work - my arthritis is too painful.

joe'smom 05-14-2021 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by N3wbee (Post 8483162)
Thank you for responding so quickly! One more question... what size thread should I use for sandwiching? I was thinking about using a 10 or a 20, but is that too large? I do not want to leave holes in the quilt.

I assumed the tatting thread came only in one size. You don't need a thick thread for basting; the thing about the tatting thread is that it is rough, so it doesn't slide through the fabric the way a smooth thread would.

Railroadersbrat 05-15-2021 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 6747730)
I use Sharon's method as well and there is only one thread I will use.

Water soluble.

I can quilt right over it and when I'm done quilting it washes out.

And yes it holds the quilt together. Even a heavy flannel quilt.

I'm so glad you said this because I've been looking at various ways of basting a quilt, pinning it just didn't do myself or my fiancé any good at all, we spent so much time in the floor that we were stiff and sore for a couple days after so I'm researching alternatives. I've got two quilts on the horizon that I'll have to bind, with another one in the wings, I've been keeping an eye on water soluble thread and wondered how it performed. So the thread stays intact when you iron with steam or is ironing avoided until after the quilt has been washed?