Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Way to Applique and Why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-way-applique-why-t197757.html)

Pieces2 08-18-2012 04:31 AM

There are many ways to applique. Each person usually finds what she likes the best.
I do not applique, too slow a process for me. So if I make a Sunbonnnet Sue, I use fusible web.
Its easy, and a faster method than needle turn. Try several methods to see what you like
before starting a big project.

Sunflower Girl 08-18-2012 05:22 AM

I recently took a two classes at my LQS; one on needle turn and one on machine applique. I think it would depend on the project. If you are looking at doing a project that will be laundered several times over the years, I think needle turn is the answer, and it can be relaxing (at least to me). If it is a wall hanging or a table runner, go for machine applique. It's quicker and will be okay for a few washings. I would suggest taking classes, if you can, or find a good book on the methods. JMHO.

Steady Stiching 08-18-2012 05:25 AM

Learn all that you can and then choose your method by the project you are making and how that item will be used.

Mkotch 08-18-2012 05:41 AM

why not do a sampler with different techniques and see which you like best? I find I use them all for different projects, though. My favorite is freezer paper underneath. One good book on the subject is Applique! Applique! Applique!

Chay 08-18-2012 05:45 AM

I just finished a Dear Jane - lots of applique and boy, could I see an improvement in my skills as I went along. It was all done by hand and I used freezer paper and ironed the edges over the freezer paper then appliqued by hand. I searched the internet to try to find tutorials to get sharp points, find out how to do inner points, etc. There are good tutorials, but what would have really helped me is to sit down with someone and watch them and be able to ask questions. If you could find someone who's already adept at applique see if you can pick their brain about tips and techniques. Good luck!

weezie 08-18-2012 06:26 AM

I have ideas of doing machine applique some day, but haven't yet. I also have some really cute machine embroidery applique designs that I haven't tried yet. Currently I am doing the Little Brown Bird blocks and it is chock full of tiny pieces; for these blocks, I'm doing a 'cheater' version of needle turn. I tried the iron-the-edges-over-a-template method (tried both template plastic & freezer paper) and I just loathe it, so here's what I do. I cut the template out of freezer paper, press it onto the fabric and use a cheap mechanical pencil to draw around the template, including enough fabric all around to turn under. Once the pieces are cut (numbered to correspond with the numbered pieces in the outline) I pin some onto the background fabric, turning under and smoothing the edges as I go. I usually pin a few pieces at night and sew them on the next day. This way, I can remove the pins and the edges stay folded under. I have no problems with unwanted lumps, bumps, or creases. At that point, without having to do much actual needle turn, I can sew something on very quickly and very precisely, removing the few remaining pins as I go. I also have a felt covered styrofoam board that figures large in this method. With straight pins, I keep my block outline and all the little block pieces there, organized and easily accessed.

carolynjo 08-18-2012 09:23 AM

I have learned to applique all the ways but I prefer needle turn because once you do it, you are through; no cutting freezer paper templates, no using glue to turn the fabric, no stiffness from iron-on fusibles. It is tedious to learn, but once you do master it, it goes very quickly.

IAmCatOwned 08-18-2012 09:42 AM

There is no best way. I PREFER turn under and hand stitched. If you machine wash your quilts, I think you are best off with a machine applique of some kind - whether you do turn under or use a fusible of some kind doesn't really matter. My very first machine applique were some bears (Quiltmaker). They weren't very good. I didn't know about putting something underneath and got a lot of tunneling. but eventually, I got over it, matched them with some plain squares, made a baby quilt and gave it away. The 'baby' still has it and loves it despite its imperfections.

terri bb 08-18-2012 10:01 AM

what a wonderful thread! i enjoyed getting all of your opinions! i machine sew during the day but every nite i hand sew or hand quilt. i have started on a double irish chain by hand but the 6.5 inch centers i have done fusible and made flowers and leaves for each one. i am using a pretty sturdy blanket stitch (the biggest one my machine will do) and im finding it looks very 'country'. i am not liking the stiffness of the pellon underneath, but i am hoping after it is washed several times it will become softer. the rest of the quilt is going to be done by hand and then hand quilted. i find hand sewing is so relaxing at the end of the day! i would love to learn to do hand turn on more complicated projects. the flowers in the center are very simple because the recipient of this is a very simple country down to earth girl and i think it fits. i think that learning in person to do this would be better than a book or a youtube. i have watched some and just shake my head. ill post pics as i go for fun and please keep your fingers crossed im pretty new at hand sewing and i find i pull my stitches out and start over if they start to look not quite right!

terri bb 08-18-2012 10:01 AM

congrats on the apple core top being done!! i am 2 rows from my second being finished. congrats!! :))))))

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned (Post 5449326)
There is no best way. I PREFER turn under and hand stitched. If you machine wash your quilts, I think you are best off with a machine applique of some kind - whether you do turn under or use a fusible of some kind doesn't really matter. My very first machine applique were some bears (Quiltmaker). They weren't very good. I didn't know about putting something underneath and got a lot of tunneling. but eventually, I got over it, matched them with some plain squares, made a baby quilt and gave it away. The 'baby' still has it and loves it despite its imperfections.