Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best way to remove paper piecing paper! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-way-remove-paper-piecing-paper-t288515.html)

QuiltingNinaSue 05-27-2017 11:29 AM

I love your quilt block and how you clear the pp on the back. I have done all three of Laura Aaron Hird's quilts and that was a lot of paper piecing...141 six and half squares on the first, 90 of eight and half squares on the second and 99 six and half squares on the third. The last one is not sewn together yet...other two are hanging on my walls. I used Best Press to press and that made the paper easy to tear off the back. i did not worry about the small areas, because Carol Doak says to not worry about them....with her pp paper, it will wash away. Worked great on the first two Farmer;s Wife Quilts.

madamekelly 05-27-2017 01:32 PM

Time travel trivia- My grandma used to talk about the paper crinkling In her new quilt as a child. The paper gave added warmth in poorly heated old farmstead. Not sure if it was just necessity or actual paper pieced papers since she grew up during the depression.

MarionsQuilts 05-27-2017 02:55 PM

Some of you obviously have WAY more patience than I do! I did spritz a square to try it out, but it wasn't fast enough, and still too much work with tweezers!

I might invest in the proper paper the next time, because normal paper is certainly a hassle!

appleblossom 05-31-2017 08:22 AM

great idea! thanks for sharing!

BME 01-31-2021 08:09 AM

Try a laundry bag?

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts (Post 7831158)
It didn't clog it! I tested it afterwards LOL ... I did have to vacuum it out, but it ran fine for the next load!

If you have concerns about the “mess” left behind and clogging your washer maybe try “washing” inside a laundry bag?

Hope this helps!

Peckish 01-31-2021 10:07 AM

I don't stitch through the paper. I fold on the stitching line and stitch right next to it. This way I can reuse the paper several times.

JohnnaLeeQuilts 01-31-2021 01:01 PM

That seems like a great way to remove the paper. I do wonder though, how much paper made it into the drain and will eventually bog down in the trap. Perhaps soaking it in a tub unrelated to the plumbing would be a better option. Also, try using newsprint paper. You can buy a ream of it on Amazon. It goes through your printer easily or you can trace on it just as easily. I find it just as nice as foundation papers and not nearly as expensive.

JohnnaLeeQuilts 01-31-2021 01:01 PM

That seems like a great way to remove the paper. I do wonder though, how much paper made it into the drain and will eventually bog down in the trap. Perhaps soaking it in a tub unrelated to the plumbing would be a better option. Also, try using newsprint paper. You can buy a ream of it on Amazon. It goes through your printer easily or you can trace on it just as easily. I find it just as nice as foundation papers and not nearly as expensive. Also fellow quilter.....remember when you are removing your papers to recycle them!!!

ILoveToQuilt 02-01-2021 02:06 PM

Wetting the paper sounds great but beware....if you are printing your foundations with a laser jet printer, the ink will transfer to the fabric. Ask me how I know this.I needed to "spritz" blocks with water to press out wrinkles. Pressed the fabric side. No problems. Spritzed the next block and the ink had transferred to my ironing board and I picked it up with my iron not knowing. Now my block is "printed" with the foundation lines on the fabric side of block. I never noticed the transfer and because I was not watching that I pressed the blocks in the exact (and I mean exact) place on my board, I made quite the mess. The lines would not wash out. (Hope I made myself understandable????)

In short, be careful with computer printer blocks and water.

tropit 02-03-2021 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7831427)
I use cheap gift wrap tissue paper and don't remove it. When I wash the finished quilt, the tissue paper just dissolves in the wash like it was never there.

Cari

I really like this idea. You can get tissue paper at the dollar store. It can't really be any worse for the septic system than toilet paper.