Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beware cheap straight pins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beware-cheap-straight-pins-t217240.html)

Marge611 03-26-2013 04:52 AM

Thanks for the heads up too. Never quite thought about that happening.

dash2000lbs 03-26-2013 05:04 AM

Tkx for the info...

sweetana3 03-26-2013 05:52 AM

And beware that cheap pins can rust. Always buy a metal that will not rust.

Pat G 03-26-2013 07:53 AM

A cpl. of wks. ago there was a discussion on here about pins. Some mentioned "patchwork" pins while others talked about "quilt" pins. I've looked for them since but can't remember which people felt were the best. I really love a long, narrow shaft & want to get the best ones first so I don't invest in pins I won't care for. I always thought the flower heads were the big thing til I bought glasshead pins. They've seem to disappear around here for some reason. I hope somebody can talk about the benefits of ea. soon.

Pat G

Originally Posted by Reba'squilts (Post 5955078)
I am always on a quest for the finest pins in the store. Many of the pins at J's are dull. I never had the experience of pins melting. That could be a disaster! I think I will try to buy some of the flower pins.

roadrunr 03-26-2013 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe (Post 5953118)
I have had the worst experience with Dritz straight and safety pins- Very dull. Will never buy them again.

You can sharphen ay dull straight pin or safety pin by putting it in and out of steel wool. That's what I did witht the large safety pins that my sister bought me one year for Christmas. I just put them in and out of steal wool annow they are real sharp!

Friday1961 03-26-2013 08:45 AM

Also, some of these ball pin heads will melt and stick in the steam slots of your iron if you happen to iron over them. Ask me how I know!

Friday1961 03-26-2013 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by roadrunr (Post 5955681)
You can sharphen ay dull straight pin or safety pin by putting it in and out of steel wool. That's what I did witht the large safety pins that my sister bought me one year for Christmas. I just put them in and out of steal wool annow they are real sharp!

My mother used to run the points of safety pins through her hair to make them easier to go through fabric. The oil in the hair lubricated them, I guess. I still do that sometimes.

IBQUILTIN 03-26-2013 09:20 AM

I too use only glass head pins, it isn't worth the hastle with the plastic ones, and some of my pins are REALLY getting old

MargeD 03-26-2013 09:31 AM

I usually by the quilter's glass head pins or the flat flower variety that makes it easier to iron over them. I don't think I have ever had the problem that you had. I have occasionally "lost" the head of the pin, guess it went off to "pin" heaven, but nothing like your problem with the pin melting into the fabric. Weird.

patdesign 03-26-2013 02:35 PM

I only use glass head silk pins or the flower head pins, I have accidentally sewn over flowerheads without breaking a needle. LOL
Pat