Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beware of copyrights (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beware-copyrights-t267382.html)

Terry in the ADK 07-09-2015 04:58 AM

Beware of copyrights

I purchased a pattern which included embroidery patterns and quilt instructions to make a quilt/wall hanging from a well-known company (not sure I can name it here) and also bought the accompanying templates for placement. Together they cost about $85 but it was a project my DH actually wanted me to make. After is was done, he said I should make some more because our fellow ADKers would probably want similar ones since they were trout inspired. I then read the copyright which stated " this pattern contains copyrighted designs for home non-commercial use by original purchaser only..." Since my DH had already gone into LQSs and picked out fabric for me to make more to sell at our Quilt camp boutique, I wrote to the company asking if it was okay to do so....... NO it is not was the reply.
This warning is on page 26 of the instructions so beware if you to are planning to make things for your boutique/ craft fair. Although this company makes great patterns I will stick with ones that allow for us to recoup some of our costs of the materials/patterns.

Sandygirl 07-09-2015 05:11 AM

You did the correct thing by asking permission. I send emails and if granted permission, I have the written reply from the designer.

Sandy

LyndaOH 07-09-2015 05:15 AM

I'm not sure I would take their answer as the gospel. There's been a lot written on the subject so you may need to do further research. I'm a pattern designer and I don't include that restriction on my patterns because I don't think it's enforceable, but I do include a copyright notice protecting my written instructions. This notice is on the outside of the package - the only place that makes sense.

Onebyone 07-09-2015 05:25 AM

How does the company think non embroiders will see their designs if they don't buy them ready made from embroiderers? I imagine you can find a similar pattern to use from another company. All designs look about the same anyway.

Buckeye Rose 07-09-2015 05:46 AM

The copyright pertains only to the written instructions that you purchased. You may not copy and sell/give those instructions. The pattern designer may not tell you how many quilts you can make or what you do with them once completed. There have been many discussions on this board and I suggest you search for a discussion about "Tabberone"....I think that is the subject. There is lots of information out there that is false, mostly coming from people who don't understand the copyright laws.

ManiacQuilter2 07-09-2015 05:50 AM

When I made quilts to sell, they were either from a magazine or by a group of people who have a quilt store in Southern California. They photographed my quilts for their books so they allowed me to make and sell quilts from their patterns. I enjoy making quilts with my own spin on the pattern but my quilts I make now a day are mostly for charity. The few others are gifts.

Terry in the ADK 07-09-2015 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH (Post 7251817)
I'm not sure I would take their answer as the gospel. There's been a lot written on the subject so you may need to do further research. I'm a pattern designer and I don't include that restriction on my patterns because I don't think it's enforceable, but I do include a copyright notice protecting my written instructions. This notice is on the outside of the package - the only place that makes sense.

I went back and checked....didn't see any such info!

newbee3 07-09-2015 07:45 AM

I agree with the concept that it is only for the written instructions and directions and that they have no control of how many you make or what you do with

mike'sgirl 07-09-2015 08:04 AM

Yes, I agree with above opinions, from what I understand, it is the written instructions that are copyright protected. Not the items that are made.

dunster 07-09-2015 09:41 AM

Not just the written instructions, but the designs themselves are copyright protected, which means you cannot copy the disks (or whatever medium they were delivered on). However the designer's added restrictions are not enforceable. You can sell or give the original patterns to another person, as long as you don't make and keep copies, so the "original purchaser" part goes out the window. You can sell the items you make, as long as you're not in a mass marketing situation. I would not, however, choose to purchase any more patterns from this designer, since she has chosen to make up her own rules and expects you to follow them.