Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BEWARE (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beware-t63047.html)

Tudey 09-06-2010 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I decided to put this in the main section because it is quilting related and everyone needs to read this.

I like baked potato bags. I have made them in the past. I had scraps of fabric that I loved not enough to really do anything with so I decided to make a baked potato bag. I used 100% thread to piece it, 100% cotton batting and the same thread to quilt it. Yes the fabric was 100% cotton too is there any other kind??? I popped my potato in the bag and put it in the microwave. I decided to stay in the kitchen and after about 2 minutes I smelled something. I looked in the microwave and my cute potato bag was on fire, not smoldering but on fire. I was a chef kitchen fires don't bother me. I pulled out the bag and tossed it in the sink as the bag burned I poured water on it. All my work and it went up in smoke. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER use a baked potato bag again. And you shouldn't either!!!!!!!

Well, I have never made a baked potato bag, but apparently, Warn and Natural has a batt for that called Warm Tater. I know nothing about the product, but just adding my 2 cents!

scrappylouisa 09-06-2010 06:09 AM

One of Rich's co-workers has been making potato bags. She gave us one and I use it often. I haven't had a problem with it. I use it in our microwave that is 24 years old and has lower wattage.

sewangel 09-06-2010 06:30 AM

I have made and often use the potato bag. Never had a problem. I also use it for sweet potatos and corn on the cob. They turn out great in minutes. Your batting may have been Warm & Natural which is not 100% cotton. Also your fabric may not have been the best quality. Love the potato bag.

Grannie J 09-06-2010 07:03 AM

I made a potato bag and love it. After baking the potatoes in the microwave put them in the potato bag until you are ready to serve them. They will keep warm and actually the steam will cook them a little more.

Pzazz 09-06-2010 07:26 AM

Exact same thing happened to my GF. She purchased one at a craft sale...label said 100% cotton. First time using it, it burned. I won't have one in my house anytime soon!!!! ;)

Patti

tcnmom 09-06-2010 07:41 AM

Do not use paper towels that have recycled products in the towels. 100% flannel can be used instead of batting.

BellaBoo 09-06-2010 07:49 AM

If the cotton batting package does not say NO SCRIM it has scrim.
My old microwave never had a problem with the potato bags. My new one burnt it first time! I found out if the bag with scrim won't burn I had a lousy microwave. LOL.

candiharris11 09-06-2010 08:09 AM

Wow that's terrible! Glad you were right there to catch it before any damage was caused. Thanks for the heads up I won't use the one I recieved as a gift.

MillieH 09-06-2010 08:38 AM

What is scrim? I've never used a bag, but I get good results with potatoes the bagless way.

Dkm 09-06-2010 08:45 AM

I started making them for family and then found out about this problem. Then someone told me that she had bought one and inside the bag was a warning about the bags if overheated could catch on fire. My thought is...just put it on a paper towel. Don't like fires.