Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: BEWARE

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I decided to put this in the main section because it is quilting related and everyone needs to read this.

I like baked potato bags. I have made them in the past. I had scraps of fabric that I loved not enough to really do anything with so I decided to make a baked potato bag. I used 100% thread to piece it, 100% cotton batting and the same thread to quilt it. Yes the fabric was 100% cotton too is there any other kind??? I popped my potato in the bag and put it in the microwave. I decided to stay in the kitchen and after about 2 minutes I smelled something. I looked in the microwave and my cute potato bag was on fire, not smoldering but on fire. I was a chef kitchen fires don't bother me. I pulled out the bag and tossed it in the sink as the bag burned I poured water on it. All my work and it went up in smoke. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER use a baked potato bag again. And you shouldn't either!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the warning. Be safe everyone.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Oh my!!!!! That is scarry. I have never used them and now I guess I will never will. Thank you for the heads up.

Thanks for the warning Peach. I have never tried one. I didn't really see the need in the first place. That and I am not a huge baked potato fan.

I had never heard of a potatoe bag. What is the purpose?

what is a baked potato bag? never heard of one, I don't get out much...

Wow, have one as it was a gift from Vermont but never used it.
    Been using it as a potholder thing when my others weren't reachable. thanks for the warning!

If you used Warm and Natural batting, it's not really 100% cotton as has been posted before...maybe that was what caught it on fire?

It's 87.5% cotton and 12.5% Polypropylene.

Oh, my goodness! I am glad you were in the kitchen when this happened. I often pop things in the mw and then go to another room to do something. I am kind of like some other posters...I could not quite figure the need for them to begin with? I have always pricked my baking potatoes and when they finish baking in the mw, I pull them out and wrap them in a tea-towel to let them 'sit' for a few minutes. Personally, I think that would be a good use for these baking potato bags...not actually baking with them in the mw.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    I decided to put this in the main section because it is quilting related and everyone needs to read this.

I like baked potato bags. I have made them in the past. I had scraps of fabric that I loved not enough to really do anything with so I decided to make a baked potato bag. I used 100% thread to piece it, 100% cotton batting and the same thread to quilt it. Yes the fabric was 100% cotton too is there any other kind??? I popped my potato in the bag and put it in the microwave. I decided to stay in the kitchen and after about 2 minutes I smelled something. I looked in the microwave and my cute potato bag was on fire, not smoldering but on fire. I was a chef kitchen fires don't bother me. I pulled out the bag and tossed it in the sink as the bag burned I poured water on it. All my work and it went up in smoke. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER use a baked potato bag again. And you shouldn't either!!!!!!!
    This was a problem with the older patterns. They now make a special batting specifically for these bags. I'll do a searcha nd see if I can find the name. Also, newer microwaves with higher wattage can cause older bags to smolder.

Apparently there is a new batting, made by Warm and Natural called Warm Tater. It is just now coming on the market, and made specifically for the tater/corn bags. Here is the description on the Warm and Natural website. I haven't used it, just thought I'd let you know there is something new out there.

"Potato bags are all the rage and The Warm Company has the right batting for all your microwave and kitchen projects! Warm Tater is 100% natural cotton that hasnít been chemically treated making it ideal for cooking potatoes, corn, rolls and warming tortillas in the microwave. Warm Tater is heavy weight 100% natural cotton that acts as an insulator keeping the moisture inside for fresh, hot steamy potatoes & so much more! Use the free pattern featured on the bolt wrapper or package to create your own. This quick, simple & practical project makes a great gift item! Amaze your friends and treat yourself!"

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginaky
    Apparently there is a new batting, made by Warm and Natural called Warm Tater. It is just now coming on the market, and made specifically for the tater/corn bags. Here is the description on the Warm and Natural website. I haven't used it, just thought I'd let you know there is something new out there.

"Potato bags are all the rage and The Warm Company has the right batting for all your microwave and kitchen projects! Warm Tater is 100% natural cotton that hasnít been chemically treated making it ideal for cooking potatoes, corn, rolls and warming tortillas in the microwave. Warm Tater is heavy weight 100% natural cotton that acts as an insulator keeping the moisture inside for fresh, hot steamy potatoes & so much more! Use the free pattern featured on the bolt wrapper or package to create your own. This quick, simple & practical project makes a great gift item! Amaze your friends and treat yourself!"
    This is the one I was looking for. You beat me to it!

OMG! How aweful! Thanks for the heads up!

Has anyone ever seen sparks in the microwave from cooking beets? There are a few other natural foods that produce sparks as well. Weird.

My neighbor made me a baked potato bag, and I've used it many times with no problems. I do, however, stay in the kitchen when I use it.

there is a special batting for these projects

I'd probably wet mine first too, to help steam things, I hadn't heard of these before, but I often take a paper towel, and wet it, wrapping it around breads, rice or corn to steam cook things in the wave. So lucky you were there to put it out in time, sad you lost all your hard work :(

Aw, so glad everything turnedout okay!

I've made, used and given potato bags with the potato fabrics. Never had a problem or a complaint. Love it. I'll be looking for the 'new' batt though.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    OMG!! That's awful.. Glad all is ok..

I have a couple that my MIL made. Ive been using it for years. I love it. Wonder if the bag being wet has anything to do with it not catching fire ??? ( yea I wash the potatoes but I'm to lazy to dry them and the bag gets pretty wet in the process )

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, and thanks for the warning..

P.s. My sister told me she cant put regular paper towels in her microwave, It catches fire on her..

Hmmmm I've used mine many times too. I wonder what went wrong. I'll either not use mine again or stand there and watch it. Bummer. Sorry that happened :shock:

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I read somewhere that they stopped selling this pattern because of all the problems. But it looks like someone got creative and created a new kind of batting for use in this type of pattern.

Thats good to know. I'll look for the batting and remake mine. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    My DD made me one 3-4 yrs. ago. I use it a lot. Even for corn on the cob, and have never had a problem. I've never asked what she used.

Blog Entries
    I use them for rolls. Just a few seconds and day old tastes like fresh baked!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast