Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: BEWARE

Never even heard of doing such a thing. Just put tatties on a pie plate and cover 'em with a rigid domed plastic cover (which does NOT touch food) when do the FAST version of baked potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by tcnmom
    Do not use paper towels that have recycled products in the towels. 100% flannel can be used instead of batting.
    Unless the paper towels are specifically labeled organic, etc. they do contain chemicals and pesticides. I don't ever use them on food in the microwave for these reasons, among others.

This reminds me of a family story. You know those things that happen in families that people talk and laugh about for years? Only they weren't funny at the time?

Here's mine: We had just finished a kitchen remodel in a different house. I had all new stainless steel appliances, and I saw a stainless steel microwave (mine wasn't built in). I'd never seen one before, and of course, I absolutely had to have it. So we made it work.

Then, after we'd had it a few weeks, I decided to make some popcorn. I'd made popcorn hundreds of times in my old microwave, and so I knew how long it would take. So I punch in the numbers and walk away. I didn't notice anything until I walked into the kitchen and then the smell of something burned was unmistakable. The popcorn bag was pretty much welded to the glass turntable in the bottom. It had obviously been on fire, and the entire inside of the microwave, including the inner workings were coated with this nasty black gunk. The microwave was essentially destroyed.

My husband, who is so smart about these things, took that whole thing apart, cleaned it up, and put it back together. And it worked! It smelled like burned popcorn for a long time, but it worked and we used it for many years until we sold the house and left it behind. Scary story with a happy ending.

So now when we get together as a family, we almost always come back to the time that Mom burned up the popcorn in the microwave. As it turns out, the new microwave was much more powerful than the 17-year-old one. Duh. The popcorn only took about half as long as before.

I think there is a "word to the wise" in there somewhere. I know I learned something!

I use mine all of the time and have never had any problems, but guess the ones I have made for gifts will stay here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia
    I did not have your experience when I used a potato bag many years ago but the potato tasted awful so I just bake mine in the raw. LOL
    I like mine best this way. I love the crusty peel with lots of butter. Mmmmmm!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    I did not have your experience when I used a potato bag many years ago but the potato tasted awful so I just bake mine in the raw. LOL
    Very best way for a baked potato, to me, is in the regular oven (or toaster oven), maybe wrapped in tin foil, usually not. Just bare!

Haven't had your problem - but: have you ever tried using a grater to shred a raw beet? Put a little lemon juice on it and it's really good. Just be sure to wear gloves or your hands will be stained a beautiful color! :) :)

Very best way for a baked potato, to me, is in the regular oven (or toaster oven), maybe wrapped in tin foil, usually not. Just bare!
    I totally agree. Plan ahead. That's all it takes. Otherwise, it's no more difficult than doing it in the microwave.

I made a tator bag about 8 years ago and am still using it. Cotton everything and have never had a problem. I even embroidered (machine) a baked potato with butter on the outside and it looks as good as when I made it. It is used 2 to 5 times a week I would estimate. Obviously I love it. Sue

Blog Entries
    Anytime I have done the potato bag thing I have made certain it was sopping wet before putting in my potato. I use just plain muslin, untreated. They still don't come out the same as when as kids we wrapped them in foil and poked holes in the fireplace ashes and buried our potatoes until they were done --had to watch for the occasional exploding one if we hadn't poked the potatoes to break the skins. LOL

I never saw a reson for them. My baked potatoes come perfectly on the baked potato setting.

I've never had a problem with mine at all. I just wash the potato and pat it a little bit with a paper towel. Just want to potato to be a little bit wet and then wrap it in a paper towel and then put it in the microwave and bake the potato. I bake mine for anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes and then set it out on a plate and let the potato stay in the bag and it will finish cooking while it is still in the bag. I haven't used mine in quite awhile. Tho I never had any problems in the past,, well there is always a first time so I say yes, please becareful with them and thank God they have out the right type of batting made for those bags. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay

Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    I decided to put this in the main section because it is quilting related and everyone needs to read this.

I like baked potato bags. I have made them in the past. I had scraps of fabric that I loved not enough to really do anything with so I decided to make a baked potato bag. I used 100% thread to piece it, 100% cotton batting and the same thread to quilt it. Yes the fabric was 100% cotton too is there any other kind??? I popped my potato in the bag and put it in the microwave. I decided to stay in the kitchen and after about 2 minutes I smelled something. I looked in the microwave and my cute potato bag was on fire, not smoldering but on fire. I was a chef kitchen fires don't bother me. I pulled out the bag and tossed it in the sink as the bag burned I poured water on it. All my work and it went up in smoke. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER use a baked potato bag again. And you shouldn't either!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up...I don't need a bag that bad to cook a potato in the microwave. I won't put anything in the microwave that is flammable as I've had the same experience with those warmers like a hot water bottle or those you put on an injury, similar to the ice packs or even those neck warmers filled with rice or corn kernels.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliP
    Anytime I have done the potato bag thing I have made certain it was sopping wet before putting in my potato. I use just plain muslin, untreated. They still don't come out the same as when as kids we wrapped them in foil and poked holes in the fireplace ashes and buried our potatoes until they were done --had to watch for the occasional exploding one if we hadn't poked the potatoes to break the skins. LOL
    Wasn't that just the best part of camping?...waiting for the potatoes to cook around the edge of the fire pit!!!!! Yum!!!

Patti

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I've had mine for months and have never had a problem with it. It is made from 100% cotton materials, including the batting and thread. I recently cooked sweet potatoes in it which took a total of about 10 minutes. However, I cook for 4 minutes then let the bag cool down for about a minute then cook another 4 minutes - 4 minutes at a time at the most. There must have been some type of non-cotton material in the batting as mentioned on this board already. I love my Tater Baker Bag and use it all the time.

Blog Entries
    I have made a number of the potato bags, always including a note that you should watch carefully the first time using it as some microwave have a very high wattage and could cause the potato bag to start smoldering. Only one person has had a problem. She used it on regular potatoes and used it often. one day she tried the little red potatoes and set it for the regular cooking time. It was much too long for the little potatoes and began to smolder.

I have heard this from several people that make and use potato bags. They are very dangerous. They also do not use them anymore or make them for that reason.

I haven't used it yet but I bought some of the Warm Tater to try some with. Also on a video I saw it said to use the small bag for 1 or 2 potatoes & the larger for more. It said if you put just 1 potato in the larger bag that it could overheat & possibly burn. Also to wash the potatoes & don't dry them. Wrap in paper towel & place in bag. I have read evrything that I could find about them because I wanted them for Christmas & I will put all the directions with it. Hopefully the Warm Tater batting is the answer.

Oh WOW thanks for the warning.

You also have to use l00% cotton thread.
    doglover

Power Poster
    I never use one. I place a wet paper towel over the potato before I pop it in the microwave.

Dee
    Thanks for the info. Looked at them, but never used one.

Blog Entries
    I made one also and it caught fire on me. I thought it was because I had polyester in it but guess not. I won't make them again either.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pzazz
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliP
    Wasn't that just the best part of camping?...waiting for the potatoes to cook around the edge of the fire pit!!!!! Yum!!!

Patti

During bad weather I lose my electric but I never fear I have a fireplace and I cook my potatoes just inside the hearth. YUUUMMMMMOOOOOOOOOO

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast