Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BEWARE

thanks,,,,,,,,

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    This is from Checker Distributors' newsletter. They're a wholesale fabric-and-supplies dealer, so they should be "in the know":

Potato Baker Bags – A Great Make It/Take It
    Jun 14th, 2010 by Penny Haren

Potato Bags have become a new on-line craze. Baking a potato in an insulated bag – in the microwave – produces a perfect baked potato in a matter of minutes. The potatoes can be cut and fluffed with a fork. The skin – which contains so many of the nutrients – stays moist and soft. Why not offer a baked potato bar at your next party – and then give them a potato bag as a gift? They are so easy, you will be making dozens for quick and easy gifts.

There is just one problem. People were making these bags with traditional cotton batting or pre-quilted fabric. Those battings have a scrim which can scorch and burn when placed in a high powered microwave. The Warm Company solved that problem by creating “Warm Tater” batting. This all natural batting does not have a scrim – so it doesn’t scorch or burn. That does not mean that you should use these bags and leave them unattended. While this product is safe, the material and thread you choose may not be – so supervision is the key!

Blog Entries
    I have never heard of these. My potatos alway cook well without them and I eat the peelings, too. Too many gadgets.

Blog Entries
    Wow I never heard of a potato bag or a corn bag or roll bag but it sounds kind of cool and now I guess I know to use the "Warm Tater" batting, I did see that at the LQS and wondered why it was called that but didn't ask. Now I know!!

The potato bag must have had polyester batting inside. Only pure cotton can be used. I use one almost every day that I made, if the label on the batting says 100% cotton, that is what I use for them. I love mine and the potatoes do cook better in them than without.

CarolJ.

Thanks for the warning! I just received a potato bag from a fellow sewer friend of mine. Haven't used it yet. But when I do, I will watch very carefully!

Blog Entries
    I did not have your experience when I used a potato bag many years ago but the potato tasted awful so I just bake mine in the raw. LOL

Blog Entries
    I took a class in college called Textiles. UGHH hardest class i ever took. learned fabric type, name, content, story and chemical make up. I had to make little 5x7 cards with all the above mentioned on each swatch (i got an A). We did tests of diff kinds one each type of fabric,,, cotton, wool, poly, etc. I was shocked to find anything made with polyester when heated will MELT!! This means if your wearing anything poly it will melt into you. Same with many man made, polyprolene being one. They melt at a low temp. The higher the temp the quicker the burn and fire. Since then i read all labels on clothes and wont wear polyester. Im glad they finally made a new batting. I will prob use it on all quilts. Ive been thru a house fire and thats scary. Glad no one was hurt tho.

what batting did you use.if warm and natural, it is not 100% cotton and it will cause it to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia
    I did not have your experience when I used a potato bag many years ago but the potato tasted awful so I just bake mine in the raw. LOL
    The 'awful' taste might have come from man-made chemicals in the batting. The chemicals can give off a pretty bad odor when heated. That odor can spoil the taste of things.

I've sold hundreds of them and only two reported burning up. I see the flaw that happened...... Instructions say to wrap the WET potato in a DAMP paper towel. It's the moisture that not only helps to steam the potato and bake it nicer, but also cuts down on the fire danger. Oh, the bags that burned, one lady left the safety pin on that held the instruction card and the other had a commercial grade microwave in which the power is too high for the bag to handle. Try again using the wet potato and moist towel. You'll like it. I've used my for years!

Blog Entries
    We love corn on the cob cooked in the potato bag. Directions say to wrap corn in dry paper towel. It is very moist, as is the bag, when taken from the microwave and it's delicious. Being in our retirement years, we have used it for baked potatoes and warming breads and rolls. We have never had a problem, but I will be sure to look for the special batting when making them.

Ok, I guess I'm on another planet. Have seen the potato pockets but thought they were just for keeping them warm AFTER baking. LOL

Washing and letting the potato wet before wrapping in a paper towel was part of the instructions I got. If you don't use the bag, you prick the potato, wrap it in the paper towel, the steam from inside will help, I don't dry the potato either way. I wrap each potato separately if I put in more than one, just up the time a minute. Takes about two minutes for one medium potato in my microwave, saves a lot of time at our house.
    Carol J.

Blog Entries
    Wow Peachy...I'm sorry that happened to you...thats Scary!!! I've never used one of the bags..never had one, but I'll be careful if I try it in the future. Thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    I decided to put this in the main section because it is quilting related and everyone needs to read this.

I like baked potato bags. I have made them in the past. I had scraps of fabric that I loved not enough to really do anything with so I decided to make a baked potato bag. I used 100% thread to piece it, 100% cotton batting and the same thread to quilt it. Yes the fabric was 100% cotton too is there any other kind??? I popped my potato in the bag and put it in the microwave. I decided to stay in the kitchen and after about 2 minutes I smelled something. I looked in the microwave and my cute potato bag was on fire, not smoldering but on fire. I was a chef kitchen fires don't bother me. I pulled out the bag and tossed it in the sink as the bag burned I poured water on it. All my work and it went up in smoke. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER use a baked potato bag again. And you shouldn't either!!!!!!!
    Well, I have never made a baked potato bag, but apparently, Warn and Natural has a batt for that called Warm Tater. I know nothing about the product, but just adding my 2 cents!

One of Rich's co-workers has been making potato bags. She gave us one and I use it often. I haven't had a problem with it. I use it in our microwave that is 24 years old and has lower wattage.

I have made and often use the potato bag. Never had a problem. I also use it for sweet potatos and corn on the cob. They turn out great in minutes. Your batting may have been Warm & Natural which is not 100% cotton. Also your fabric may not have been the best quality. Love the potato bag.

I made a potato bag and love it. After baking the potatoes in the microwave put them in the potato bag until you are ready to serve them. They will keep warm and actually the steam will cook them a little more.

Exact same thing happened to my GF. She purchased one at a craft sale...label said 100% cotton. First time using it, it burned. I won't have one in my house anytime soon!!!! ;)

Patti

Do not use paper towels that have recycled products in the towels. 100% flannel can be used instead of batting.

Blog Entries
    If the cotton batting package does not say NO SCRIM it has scrim.
    My old microwave never had a problem with the potato bags. My new one burnt it first time! I found out if the bag with scrim won't burn I had a lousy microwave. LOL.

Wow that's terrible! Glad you were right there to catch it before any damage was caused. Thanks for the heads up I won't use the one I recieved as a gift.

What is scrim? I've never used a bag, but I get good results with potatoes the bagless way.

Dkm
    I started making them for family and then found out about this problem. Then someone told me that she had bought one and inside the bag was a warning about the bags if overheated could catch on fire. My thought is...just put it on a paper towel. Don't like fires.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast