Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BEWARE

Thank you for the information on the new product.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Quote Originally Posted by gwena
    I've had the same experience with those warmers like a hot water bottle or those you put on an injury, similar to the ice packs or even those neck warmers filled with rice or corn kernels.
    I am glad you meantioned the rice bag I never thought of those and I use them ALL the time. That will stop now too.

Blog Entries
    This is exactly how I use the bag and have never had a problem. When I wash the potato (or sweet potato), I leave it wet and wrap in paper towel (which also gets wet). Perhaps that is why I haven't had the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by annette1952
    I haven't used it yet but I bought some of the Warm Tater to try some with. Also on a video I saw it said to use the small bag for 1 or 2 potatoes & the larger for more. It said if you put just 1 potato in the larger bag that it could overheat & possibly burn. Also to wash the potatoes & don't dry them. Wrap in paper towel & place in bag. I have read evrything that I could find about them because I wanted them for Christmas & I will put all the directions with it. Hopefully the Warm Tater batting is the answer.

When I first saw the potato/corn bags I wondered about the dye in the fabric. Aren't most dyes chemicals? Would they present a hazard?

oh my, I just pop my pot in the micro on the glass turn table in there and cover them with the cover and bake...easy as anything....

BTW, I never leave the kitchen anymore when I am cooking. I just go from one thing to the other and by the time I have make several things for a couple days, everything is done and I'm out of there and don't have to worry about watching anything.

When I put the kettle on for tea, I put the timer on because I always forget the water boiling and the timer reminds me....

Blog Entries
    That's why it is recommended to use unbleached muslin as the liner, making it two layers (liner and batting) protecting the bag from any dyes. It is also recommended that you pre-wash the fabric prior to making to remove as much dye as possible. For with it's worth, I have a lot of allergies and I've been fine.

I love my bag and have always wondered what was used as filling...now I know, 100% cotton only. Thank you!

I have a Potato Bag filled with polyester batting that I have used for several years without a problem. However, I will make all future bagas with Warm Tater just to be safe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia
    I did not have your experience when I used a potato bag many years ago but the potato tasted awful so I just bake mine in the raw. LOL
    The 'awful' taste might have come from man-made chemicals in the batting. The chemicals can give off a pretty bad odor when heated. That odor can spoil the taste of things.
    I can't say that it did or didn't have something in the fabric that caused the bad taste. However, since I used un-bleached muslin I can't see and/or don't know if that has extra chemicals, etc in it. As for batting, didn't use any, I just used many thickness' of un-bleached muslin. The only thing I can think of might be polyester thread, but wouldn't that have melted and the whole bag would fall apart. This is a mysterious world and the more scientists look for things come about that can hurt us, but I love my Microwave. "Be Careful, Be Happy, Be Safe."

I hand dyed some WM for an applique class, charcoal background, and the scrim didn't take the dye. I usually use Quilter's Dream when I can find it, no scrim.
    The mw bags are neat and make great hostess gifts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by polly13
    We love corn on the cob cooked in the potato bag. Directions say to wrap corn in dry paper towel. It is very moist, as is the bag, when taken from the microwave and it's delicious. Being in our retirement years, we have used it for baked potatoes and warming breads and rolls. We have never had a problem, but I will be sure to look for the special batting when making them.
    I'm happy you like your "vegetable bags". but for me, I'll never use one again after my experience. You stated you cook corn in one. This is my method for cooking corn. Open the shucks at the blossom end and pull back to the stem end. Wash thoroughly by dunking into a bucket of cold water. Re-apply the shucks, tied with a cotton string at the blossom end. Cook in microwave per directions (Microwaves some with many different powers). For my 1200 watt Micro, I cook corn for 3 minutes. If not done to my liking, re-wrap and zap another minute. Even from the freezer, the corn is just like fresh. Just be careful. I had a friend who suffered from dementia, put a china bowl with gold edging into hers. She blew up the whole microwave.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannie J
    I made a potato bag and love it. After baking the potatoes in the microwave put them in the potato bag until you are ready to serve them. They will keep warm and actually the steam will cook them a little more.
    I like your idea of baking the potato first then placing it into the bag. Great idea! I do that with my bottled water when I go in the car. Just make the bags the right size for the bottle and provide a tab top with velcro closing to keep it cold.

I also had one catch on fire that a friend gave me and needless to say I have never used one since.

Blog Entries
    Wow----new idea to try----especially with corn from the freezer. Hope it gets rid of that freezer taste. I will never make bags as gifts again since so many have had disastrous results. I would never be able to live with myself if my gift caused a fire, especially after being forwarned. It was good to inform us all. Even if it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't, especially if the day comes to replace my old microwave with a more powerful one. It is an important message, did not want to imply it was trivial.

Seems like a lot of trouble to me just to cook a potato; think I'll just save quilting for other projects and cook my potatoes the same way I always have. Thanks for the warning, anyway.

I wrap my potatoes in seran wrap and then prick them several times through the wrap and skin to let air escape. This keeps the potatoes nice and not too dry. Then when I take them out I wrap them in a kitchen towel until ready to serve. Do others have a better way of doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    I decided to put this in the main section because it is quilting related and everyone needs to read this.

I like baked potato bags. I have made them in the past. I had scraps of fabric that I loved not enough to really do anything with so I decided to make a baked potato bag. I used 100% thread to piece it, 100% cotton batting and the same thread to quilt it. Yes the fabric was 100% cotton too is there any other kind??? I popped my potato in the bag and put it in the microwave. I decided to stay in the kitchen and after about 2 minutes I smelled something. I looked in the microwave and my cute potato bag was on fire, not smoldering but on fire. I was a chef kitchen fires don't bother me. I pulled out the bag and tossed it in the sink as the bag burned I poured water on it. All my work and it went up in smoke. I will NEVER, EVER, EVER use a baked potato bag again. And you shouldn't either!!!!!!!
    We've used our potato bag for several years now - maybe like 5 years. Never ever had a problem and the potatoes come out so nice. Sorry, you had a bad turn out.

I have read too much about using saran wrap because of the chemicals that can leach out. My husband is a chemist and says why take chances.

Blog Entries
    I make potato bags for sell at the local country store and have never had a recall on them. Just make sure you use 100% cotton batting, cotton thread and cotton fabric. Some important rules to follow also: Use only white paper towels, Colored ones may have lead in the color. Also, make sure there is no grease from popcorn, bacon, etc. left in the microwave, as these may cause a fire too.

You can cook almost any veggie in the bag, as well as warming up tortillas. Cauliflower, cut in half, wrap half in wet paper towel and cook approx. 5 minutes. Corn on cob, wrap individually in wet paper towel, cook 2-3 minutes per cob. Carrots, wrap in wet paper towel, cook 3-4 minutes. Sweet potatoes, wrap in wet paper towel, cook for 4-5 minutes ea. Broccoli, wrap in wet paper towel, cook about 3 minutes. Frozen Asparagus, cook 1 lb 4-5 minutes, fresh 3-4 minutes.

Just remember to not leave bag unattended. Enjoy!

I made and have used potato baking bags with no problem. I do wash the potatoes and wrap them in 100%-paper towels. There are some towels on the market that have fibers in them to make them stronger and I avoid these.

I do not use saran wrap or styrofoam cups or plates in the microwave because of offgasing. Also I do not use plates, cups, bowls etc. if they are not made in the US, Japan or Europe because of the possibility of lead in the glaze. I use (old)Iron, glass, or stainless steel cookware no aluminum or non stick because it leeches into the food when heated.

I use flannel as the batting.Works just fine.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, and God bless.

Never heard of a potato bag - I wrap the potatoes in a towel when they come out of the microwave. Guess I'll keep doing it that way - no fires! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginaky
    Apparently there is a new batting, made by Warm and Natural called Warm Tater. It is just now coming on the market, and made specifically for the tater/corn bags. Here is the description on the Warm and Natural website. I haven't used it, just thought I'd let you know there is something new out there.

"Potato bags are all the rage and The Warm Company has the right batting for all your microwave and kitchen projects! Warm Tater is 100% natural cotton that hasnít been chemically treated making it ideal for cooking potatoes, corn, rolls and warming tortillas in the microwave. Warm Tater is heavy weight 100% natural cotton that acts as an insulator keeping the moisture inside for fresh, hot steamy potatoes & so much more! Use the free pattern featured on the bolt wrapper or package to create your own. This quick, simple & practical project makes a great gift item! Amaze your friends and treat yourself!"
    I just bought a whole bolt of that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast