Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BEWARE >

BEWARE

BEWARE

Old 09-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Never even heard of doing such a thing. Just put tatties on a pie plate and cover 'em with a rigid domed plastic cover (which does NOT touch food) when do the FAST version of baked potatoes.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by tcnmom
Do not use paper towels that have recycled products in the towels. 100% flannel can be used instead of batting.
Unless the paper towels are specifically labeled organic, etc. they do contain chemicals and pesticides. I don't ever use them on food in the microwave for these reasons, among others.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 AM

This reminds me of a family story. You know those things that happen in families that people talk and laugh about for years? Only they weren't funny at the time?

Here's mine: We had just finished a kitchen remodel in a different house. I had all new stainless steel appliances, and I saw a stainless steel microwave (mine wasn't built in). I'd never seen one before, and of course, I absolutely had to have it. So we made it work.

Then, after we'd had it a few weeks, I decided to make some popcorn. I'd made popcorn hundreds of times in my old microwave, and so I knew how long it would take. So I punch in the numbers and walk away. I didn't notice anything until I walked into the kitchen and then the smell of something burned was unmistakable. The popcorn bag was pretty much welded to the glass turntable in the bottom. It had obviously been on fire, and the entire inside of the microwave, including the inner workings were coated with this nasty black gunk. The microwave was essentially destroyed.

My husband, who is so smart about these things, took that whole thing apart, cleaned it up, and put it back together. And it worked! It smelled like burned popcorn for a long time, but it worked and we used it for many years until we sold the house and left it behind. Scary story with a happy ending.

So now when we get together as a family, we almost always come back to the time that Mom burned up the popcorn in the microwave. As it turns out, the new microwave was much more powerful than the 17-year-old one. Duh. The popcorn only took about half as long as before.

I think there is a "word to the wise" in there somewhere. I know I learned something!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:34 AM

I use mine all of the time and have never had any problems, but guess the ones I have made for gifts will stay here.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Virginia
I did not have your experience when I used a potato bag many years ago but the potato tasted awful so I just bake mine in the raw. LOL
I like mine best this way. I love the crusty peel with lots of butter. Mmmmmm!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ganny
I did not have your experience when I used a potato bag many years ago but the potato tasted awful so I just bake mine in the raw. LOL
Very best way for a baked potato, to me, is in the regular oven (or toaster oven), maybe wrapped in tin foil, usually not. Just bare!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Haven't had your problem - but: have you ever tried using a grater to shred a raw beet? Put a little lemon juice on it and it's really good. Just be sure to wear gloves or your hands will be stained a beautiful color! :) :)
Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Very best way for a baked potato, to me, is in the regular oven (or toaster oven), maybe wrapped in tin foil, usually not. Just bare!
I totally agree. Plan ahead. That's all it takes. Otherwise, it's no more difficult than doing it in the microwave.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 AM

I made a tator bag about 8 years ago and am still using it. Cotton everything and have never had a problem. I even embroidered (machine) a baked potato with butter on the outside and it looks as good as when I made it. It is used 2 to 5 times a week I would estimate. Obviously I love it. Sue
Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 AM

Anytime I have done the potato bag thing I have made certain it was sopping wet before putting in my potato. I use just plain muslin, untreated. They still don't come out the same as when as kids we wrapped them in foil and poked holes in the fireplace ashes and buried our potatoes until they were done --had to watch for the occasional exploding one if we hadn't poked the potatoes to break the skins. LOL