Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bias Binding--a question (honestly!) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bias-binding-question-honestly-t279522.html)

mamagrande 06-12-2016 06:07 PM

I have a bias ruler, it has a point on the end that you line up with your fabric and cut, cut, cut. Then I trim the ends and sew them on an angle...It worked for me.

quiltsRfun 06-12-2016 06:43 PM

I think the advantage is that you don't have to sew a bunch of seams. The beauty of quilting is that you can do it which ever way works best for you.

Bree123 06-12-2016 08:10 PM

The tube method is supposed to be less wasteful. I've done it both ways. My first quilt (avatar) was a McCall's pattern & it gave a paper pattern for the tube that was so super easy to follow, but trying to do it without the paper pattern is more aggravating to me than the wasted fabric I tend to have when I just sew end to end.

OhCanada 06-12-2016 08:22 PM

I've used the tube method a few times and always found it counter-intuitive but less seams to join. The last time I needed bias I just cut the strips and joined them, I found it to be faster and I don't really notice the seams anyway.

Teddybear Lady 06-12-2016 09:36 PM

I've done it both ways, but usually stick with sewing strips together.

DOTTYMO 06-12-2016 10:01 PM

I did it the tube method and found I made the tube too big for the amount I needed. Since then used the diagonal cut and join until I get to my length.

notmorecraft 06-12-2016 11:36 PM

I found the tube method more bother than it was worse, yes you save fabric, but too time consuming and annoying, I just cut the traditional way.

gale 06-13-2016 12:43 AM

I love the tube method. It uses every bit of fabric in the square/rectangle without having to sew a jillion tiny seams. I'd much rather sew 2 long seams and draw a few lines and cut by hand than sew a whole bunch of 2.xx" seams.

However, if I'm using a striped fabric for binding I do cut and sew a bunch of 2.xx" seams because I don't want seams going more than one direction and I want to be able to control it more.

patricej 06-13-2016 01:36 AM

i am also a fan of "the tubey method" for all the reasons mentioned.
i also like the fact that i can make so much binding with less effort and in less time.

i have never bothered to draw all those stupid lines.
it takes too long.
it's impossible to get the lines straight and perfectly parallel.
cutting with scissors, it's unlikely i'll get a nice, clean cut from one end to the other.
it is completely unnecessary.

once the offset tube is made, i use my rotary ruler and cutter to make the loooooooong bias snake.
although i have done it using my 24" ruler, i find it easier to keep the tube in position using either a 12" or 18" ruler.
less fiddling with the tube means getting done sooner, even though i use the shorter ruler.

ManiacQuilter2 06-13-2016 02:14 AM

I usually starch the section of fabric, just use rulers and start cutting strips as long as possible. I am not a big fan of binding but sometimes it just what the quilt needs!