Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-small-between-type-quilter-you-t305466.html)

juliasb 06-28-2019 04:46 AM

I tend to make mostly bed quilts as they are usually gifts for sleeping under. I have made a few smaller projects and pleased with the outcome. I have made a number of book covers and given those as gifts too. I have several wall hangings but now am out of space for more (who would have thought!). I want them put to use. There are so many quilting options that I love them all and always ready to try something new. I rarely have made a show quilt (only 2). I also make from time to time utility quilts for at the beach or for in the car. Any quilt you make is a treasure be it a bag, wall hanging, utility, bed or show quilt.

NZquilter 06-28-2019 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8270604)
I like to make what I call "couch quilts" - about 60 t0 70 inches wide and about 80 to 85 inches long.

Big enough to put on top of a bed for extra warmth, and large enough to cover up completely while on a couch - and small enough to be able to wrangle through my machine to quilt it.

This is my favorite size too. I've started a few queen size, but haven't gotten as far as the quilting part yet. I've made a few wallhanging too.

peaceandjoy 06-28-2019 05:57 AM

Mostly queen sized, with a few twin/throw sized, as well as a few baby quilts that were gifts. Even those were large enough to go through preschool years, at least. I hate having my toes stick out, lol. But lately, have been thinking about doing smaller. How many quilts do I need around the house? DD's don't really care for quilts, they prefer either fluffy comforters or minky/fleece. My preference is for natural fibers.

cindyb 06-28-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8270604)
I like to make what I call "couch quilts" - about 60 t0 70 inches wide and about 80 to 85 inches long.

Big enough to put on top of a bed for extra warmth, and large enough to cover up completely while on a couch - and small enough to be able to wrangle through my machine to quilt it.

What an excellent idea!!! I have to take down these measurements!!

TAMARATJO 06-28-2019 06:40 AM

I make a variety of sizes, from wall hangings to Queen size quilts. Lately, I have found myself trying to make quilts for specific purposes as I have made way too many! For example, double sided quilt for summer for my bed, duvet cover for the down comforter for winter, etc.

dunster 06-28-2019 07:29 AM

I make a lot of queen and king quilts. But I also like large throw quilts, and have made some wall hangings. I've never made a quilt that I intended for a table topper, but one of the "lap" quilts I made is serving that purpose. If I didn't have a longarm I probably wouldn't make as many big quilts.

Jordan 06-28-2019 07:39 AM

I like to make a queen or twin size as that are the sizes of beds in my house. If I am making for one of my grandchildren it usually is between twin size and double bed size. I feel I always learn something with every quilt I make. I have never made a king size quilt and have no plans of making one either.

IrishgalfromNJ 06-28-2019 07:45 AM

I don't make large quilts. My quilts are about the size of the "Couch Quilts" Bearisgray talks about. Most of mine are a bit shorter than 80 to 85". Those are the easiest sizes for me to handle and get quilted with my DSM. I have made seasonal applique wall hangings to decorate my front door, usually something I design. I also like to make home décor items like hanging dishtowels, table runners, sewing machine covers, appliance covers, and pillow covers. Along with quilts I sew clothes, bags, hats, and accessories. I think my favorite thing to make is a bag.

Iceblossom 06-28-2019 09:46 AM

When I think "quilt" I think roughly queen sized as are most of my projects. I've gone larger including a full 3 yard square king Log Cabin that I also simply grid quilted with my little old vintage sewing machine. Wasn't fancy but held up well -- better than me! I was crunkled for weeks and that was 20 years ago.

So for me a nice little crib size is a quick fun project, make it in adult colors and maybe 6" bigger and call it a comfort quilt. Going to make a preemie quilt this weekend, that will be like the equivalent of maybe four blocks and a border.

bearisgray 06-28-2019 10:32 AM

I just measured the two that are in our living room.

One is 59 x 78 and the other is 62 x 82 inches. This is the size they are after being used for 20 years!

We seem to prefer the slightly bigger one.